6.5 or 7.9 Gallon???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdevrard

Reaction score
My local HBS sold me a 7.9 Gallon primary. It measures (outside dimensions) 15.5" tall X 14" wide (at top). 6 gallons fills it to a ring that runs around the inside of the pail 2.5 inches down from the top edge.

Once you put 6 gallons in it, you should be able to put another 1.9 gallons in right? Well you can't in this bucket. If you turn the bucket over it says "6.5 Gallons" on it. I believe that. 7.9, no I don't believe that!

Here is my conundrum If I go out to northernbrewer.com and look up a 7.9 gallon primary bucket, it gives dimensions of 13.5X15. Now those may be inside dimensions, but how you gonna fit 7.9 gallons in that? It is the same size as my bucket for all intents and purposes.

I am making 6 gallon batches and my current bucket is just too full for my taste. I'd like a little more room at the top. What gives, is this some cosmic joke that I'm not a part of???

Thanks for any clarification!

CE

Couple of things.
First, I would take it back to my LHBS.
Second, I can't give you exact measurements of mine as I am not at home at the moment but I can pretty much guarantee mine is much taller than 15.5". The dimensions you describe are almost as wide as tall. I know mine is much taller than it is wide.

I have a True Brew 7.9 gallon bucket with the exact same dimensions. It is also stamped 6.5 gallons on the bottom. But, it says 6.5 IMP Gallons (Imperial) or British which is ~7.9 gallons US

Last edited:
Also I have ~3" to the top from the 6 gallon mark. The diameter of the bucket is ~14" so the volume of that cylinder is ~462". The volume of a gallon (US) is 231". So that works out to ~2 US gallons at the top or very close to the advertised 7.9 US gallons.

Well Let's see. 1 U.S. gallon = 231 Cubic inches. The formula for determining the volume of a cylinder is PI X R2 X length
A 13.5 X 15 Inch cylinder would therefor equal Approximately 2147.0822 Cubic inches. Divide that by 231 would equal 9.2447 U.S. Gallons. I would imagine the in question bucket has a taper as most do for stacking purposes. Without knowing the exact internal dimensions throughout it is imposable for me to give an exact volume. however, with the numbers given I would say the listed volumes are most likely accurate!

Back