3 new meads

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
My plan for tonight is to start three medium meads to which I will add fruit later on for a secondary fermentation. The first will become a Blueberry Chamomile, the second will be a Ginger Peach and the third will be a Tart Cherry.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
I’ve chosen to use Lalvin 71B-1122 because it’s supposed to enhance the fruit flavor profiles. The yeast has a 14% alcohol potential so I’m going to shoot for a starting SG of 1.096. Adding the fruit to secondary - especially since some of it is packed in sugar water - makes further readings pointless (or so I’ve read), but I’m hoping my initial target and chosen yeast will get me to 14%.
<O:p></O:p>
The reason I’m posting now is in case anyone wants to give advice on my plan. (Target SG, yeast, recipe changes, financial advice, etc.) Here’s a rough layout of the recipes I’ve put together from various similar recipes.
Blueberry Chamomile:
12 lbs honey
2 tsp each yeast nutrient &amp; energizer
1 small lemon
Chamomile tea
4 15oz cans of <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:STATE w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Oregon</ST1:pLACE></ST1:STATE> blueberries in light syrup
3 lbs frozen blueberries
Ginger Peach
12 lbs honey
3 tsp pectic enzyme
2 oz mashed ginger root
1 3lb can Oregon Peach Puree
5 lbs frozen peaches
Tart Cherry
12 lbs honey
6 cans Oregon Tart Cherries in water

Edit: Yes, I will provide pictures Waldo.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: sangwitch

I assume these will be 5 gallon batches to start in the primary? What kind of honey are you using?

yes, 5-gallon batches. I'm using white clover. They also have a wildflower/soy amber honey, but I thought that might be too chancy.

Not sure if you have seen this mead batch calculator or not but I have found it to be fairly accurate in targeting SG when planning out batches.

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&amp;task=view&amp;id=745&amp;Itemid=16http://www.gotmead.com/content/view/745/158/
It has options to add all types of sugars besides honey and also fruits. I suggest sticking with your amounts on the honey for 12lbs per 5 gals on the makeup even if it comes in below your target of 1.096 ( I believe it will). From my experience of making mead, pushing the alcohol too high results in an end product that takes a very long time to age. I think adding the fruit in the secondary will add enough sugar to reach your targetand you don't want to push the ABV in your primary too high that the yeast quits on you when trying to ferment all the sugar from the fruit.

Sorry for the rambling...
smiley29.gif

Edited by: masta

Thanks Masta. This is exactly the type of input I was hoping for. I was originally thinking 1.090 as a good starting. Now, my plan is to add the fruit towards the end of primary. Ken Schramm says to add it after 2 to 4 weeks. Did you tell me that you usually wait until the SG has dropped to around 1.00?

Anywhere around 1.010 is good and please keep good records as you proceed so I can make some myself after you send me a bottle of each when it is ready to drink!
smiley4.gif

Where did you buy your honey?

BTW sang thanks for stirring my interest in making mead...I dozed off for a minute at the computer and when I woke up an order had been placed for 12 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey!
smiley36.gif

I'm not thinking of any oak chips for these batches. Are you recommending?

Glad I could help masta! Here's a nice quote I ran across the other day...

"The Juice of bees, not Bacchus, here behold,
Which British Bards were wont to quaff of old;
The Berries of the grape with Furries swell,
But in the honeycomb the Graces Dwell
."

-&gt; Barclay's Argenis, 1625

couldn't figure out a good way to get the honey from the 5-gallon bucket to the 1-gallon buckets that masta was kind enough to send me. I think a spigot would work, but I don't have one and didn't want to wait so I used a ladle for the first couple gallons. I also sat the bucket in hot water to try and get the honey to flow a bit better. There was surprisingly little mess.
20070129_220920_P1280088.JPG

poured the honey into some hot water to help dissolve it. I don't boil my honey for several reasons.
20070129_221325_P1280093.JPG

20070129_221406_P1280072.JPG

pouring the honey water into the primary...
20070129_221546_P1280081.JPG

The steam is more from the open window than the heat of the must.

SNAP! my drill mixer snapped on the second batch. I had to stir the old fasion way. Grrr!
smiley7.gif

20070129_221735_P1280096.JPG

And finally... (man, my back hurts)

20070129_221901_P1280097.JPG

The fourth primary is a bergamais that I started tonight before the meads. I threw in three cans of welch's concord concentrate to bring the SG up a bit. This'll be some fast drinking wine to let the good stuff age.

Let's see... all three meads came out with a starting SG of 1.080 so that's a little lower than I was aiming for, but I think it'll work out fine cause I'll be adding fruit and sugar after a few days of fermentation.

I added nutrient and energizer to the hot water and honey. Tomorrow I'll pitch the yeast. I'll have to hit the local shop and pick up a new drill mixer.

Angell Wine said:
Are you thinking about using any Oak chips ?

I may use some after all. I was reading a bit of Ken Schramm's book tonight to see what he says about oak. And I quote...

"The effects of aging become even more pronounced if some or all of the bulk aging is done in (or with) oak. Simply put, oak and mead are a match."

"... you know how a really good mead can seem like it has attained a level of deliciousness this is nigh on to impossible to improve? Well, oak can grab it by the scruff of the neck and haul it three rungs up the ladder."

The rest of your mixer wouldnt fit in your drill/ What do you have a 3/8" chuck?

Looking good sang. Just curious thoughwhat are your concerns about boiling your honey?

Just for chuckles sang try two drops of superglue and see if it will hold. Offset the two pieces ever so slightly. I had a second stirrer I got a couple years ago I hadn't used yet. I used it over the weekend and noticed it was two pieces glued together with an offset. It gives better stirring action as it wobbles ever so slightly while turning. Yours may have been like that and you hadn't noticed and just came apart rather than breaking. Your meads sound very interesting. I can't wait to hear how they turn out.

WOW....Looks great and I can't imagine having to stir the honey into solution by hand! I broke a few mix-stirs like that and switched over to the Fizz-X since the shaft is S/S and can't break.

I am thinking about amaking a Oaked Blueberry Melomel since I have some Blueberry concentrate that needs to be used up.

I kept on braking mine until was to small to fitin a gallon jug. I like the fizz X better.

Use some light toast French oak on the ginger one, that's if you feel like experimenting. You might be surprised.

Latest posts

Back