2nd Wine/False wine/Marc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
Relating to the current thread going about my Sangiovese wine...I am trying to use these same grapes to make a second run of wine.

RECIPE
2.5 gal h2o
about 12 to 15 handfuls of hand pressed grape skins
1.5 liter Cab Sav grape pack from FVW.
1 packet of an unidentified enzyme packet that came with grape pack
4 tsp of acid blend
3/4 tsp of yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 cup raisins(generic red)
about 8 or so cups of sugar
residual yeast from first run, RC212

I measured the SG and it was at 1.065 before the raisins and grape pack really had any time to release their sugars so I am betting the sugar level is higher than that measured. The ferment was going strong within 4 hrs of combining ingredients(about 6 of the handfuls of Sang grape skins were actually frozen so must had a block of ice in it for at least an hour of those 4hrs)

anyone else try making second run wine? Any thoughts or experience or advice? Thanks, Paulc

PS: just did some more reading and marc is not the correct term as that is a liquor distilled from pomace.

Last edited:
Never tried second run wine from pommace. I always start thinking Grappa.

I did this in my early years.

Advise:

get as much juice as possible out of you grapes for your "first". You will find that a "second" will be never as good as a "first" so try to maximize your "first".

This is not to say that a "second" is undrinkable. It will just never have the body or taste as a "first".

Still, I have to say that I prefer a "second" to wine made from Welch's

:D:)

Need HELP please

So I tasted my second run Sangiovese wine yesterday afternoon after work...tastes an awful lot like watery wine:-( with some sweet and fruity undertones. But it definitely tastes like watery wine. YOu can see my recipe above...I thought for sure I might get something better than this.

So what do you do when you get a watery wine? Dump it? Drink it fast? Make rocket fuel and then dilute with watery stuff? Any thoughts?

Thanks, PaulC

I have added Alexanders concentrate to second run wine for added flavor. That should work for you.
sjo

Latest posts

Back