25 Food Things Only A New Mexican Would Understand!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago HEB started bringing in Green Chile and roasting them at several of their Hypermarkets. Our oldest daughter lives in SA and was thrilled to be able to pick up a pound or two of fresh roasted green chile. What's funny is that here in NM most people buy an entire gunny sack of them ~40lbs, some will buy 2-3 of them! Don't know how they use that much chile in a year. We usually split a sack with some friends and that's plenty for 12 months until next Fall.

The best smell in the world is the smell of roasted green chile at the farmers market in the Fall here in NM. :hug

I am lucky that I am close enough to New Mexico that we get green chiles in the grocery stores every September.
The first year this occurred after I met Manthing, he couldn't understand why I was buying such a ridiculous amount of green chiles. I would poke a couple of holes in them and roast them whole on the grill. Let them cool under a wet towel, then freeze them whole.
And the next trip to the grocery store, do it all over again until chiles stopped showing up. He thought it was ridiculous to have an entire freezer almost completely full of bags of chiles.
Fast forward a few years. He gets it now.
Just this last week he was griping that we only have about 10 bags of chile left in the freezer.

Oh man...yea that smell will drive you crazy....We have an heb store here.
and every year they roast the hatch chilles...bout the only time I will stand in line, for anything.

Latest posts

Back