2018 Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too, don’t like to add too much so2 during barrel aging that is why I bottle at 12 months with about 7 months of oak aging in a 100l neutral Hungarian . I just bottled some Spanish montsant carignan. One month in bottle and it tastes sharp and acidic with little oak. Not anywhere near what I was tasting in barrel even though the sharpness was always there.

I also bottled some Spanish montsant Grenache 7 months in flextank and it was tasting great in the tank but after one month in bottle seems like a totally different wine. Not good. Bottle shock!!!

This morning, decided that the 2018 Lodi Cab had spent enough time in the barrel, 27 or so months. It’s got a wonderfully sweet oaky taste and is smooth as silk. Racked it all back into carboys to rest awhile before bottling, I imagine that the oak will fall back a bit over the next few years, should be just right. I’ve got nothing to put into the 60 gallon St. Martin Frenchie, so it’s being retired. Maybe it’ll finish it’s career as a couple planters, or end tables, or make some nice furniture.
D9C0A651-0402-4161-BF4D-F9C29A4DE5AA.jpeg

Don't retire such a beautiful barrel already! You can leave it empty until fall and just do a proper barrel prep when the time comes to refill.

That's a very nice offer thank you. Unfortunately for me I don't make that much of an individual wine.
That is super cool of you John. I already have 3 barrels so I know what you mean, keeping them all full involves a lot of wine.
Same problem I have, and I didn’t make a batch this year. 2018 needs to be bottled now, 300 bottles. In 9 months, I’ll be bottling another 450 bottles, plenty enough wine. I will say though, making the big boy batches in big boy barrels has turned out to be my best efforts to date.

@CDrew , @mainshipfred , @Donz , thought the same, but I’ll be emptying another 60 and a 30 this fall, definitely don’t need or want to have that much wine. I’ll be happy to send it to anyone who will pay the shipping, for free, with the solid oak rack (on wheels).

That is a very fine offer and I wish I could take advantage, but I don't ever seem to make 60 gallons of the same thing at one time. But I really appreciate the thought.

You can store the barrel with a SO2 solution or burn a sulphur wicks in your empty barrel every 6 weeks and to do this it must be done outside and preferably with a mask so not to breath the fumes. I prefer to use the sulphur wicks method and since it strips out less of the oak than using a storage solution. You will need to re-hydrate the barrel and clean out the sulphur before putting wine into it. There is lots of information on the web on using this technique.

You can store the barrel with a SO2 solution or burn a sulphur wicks in your empty barrel every 6 weeks and to do this it must be done outside and preferably with a mask so not to breath the fumes. I prefer to use the sulphur wicks method and since it strips out less of the oak than using a storage solution. You will need to re-hydrate the barrel and clean out the sulphur before putting wine into it. There is lots of information on the web on using this technique.
Thanks, I've stored barrels for use later on many occasions. This one just isn't going to be one of them, as I'll never have enough wine to use it again. I've got an empty 60 (right now), and will be emptying another 60 and a 30 in the fall. If I make a big batch this fall, I'll use the latter of the two 60's. If I save and refill all of these barrels in Fall, I'll have 150 gallons of wine, no thanks..............

Thanks, I've stored barrels for use later on many occasions. This one just isn't going to be one of them, as I'll never have enough wine to use it again. I've got an empty 60 (right now), and will be emptying another 60 and a 30 in the fall. If I make a big batch this fall, I'll use the latter of the two 60's. If I save and refill all of these barrels in Fall, I'll have 150 gallons of wine, no thanks..............
if you had to pick a favorite out of all the barrels you’ve used which one would you go for?

Good question!! Don’t know yet, but before summer. I’ll give it a few weeks to settle down, taste and adjust if necessary, order bottles, then get a date on the calendar.
John, did you bottle? And, are you still happy with the results? 27 months in a barrel is an enormous amount of time. Were you faith fun to keep up the SO2 schedule? Lots of questions...sorry.

John, did you bottle? And, are you still happy with the results? 27 months in a barrel is an enormous amount of time. Were you faith fun to keep up the SO2 schedule? Lots of questions...sorry.
The ‘18 has been out of the barrel and is still in carboys, so no bottling yet. I’ll soon be starting to taste the ‘19 batch, Bx style blend, Cab heavy, brand new 60 oak barrel, reused 30, plus three carboys unoaked.

I don’t open my barrels at all, except to add sulfite and top up, which I’m doing every other month now.

Seems unlikely, but I finally bottled some of this wine yesterday. Racked and sulfited four of the 6 gallon carboys, filled 228 375's and 11 750's. I'll be using the 375's (with a special label) as gifts for all of the attendees at my daughters wedding in February. The wine is quite tasty, really good fruit, not too tannic and a lot of caramel in the finish, really came out great!!

Seems unlikely, but I finally bottled some of this wine yesterday. Racked and sulfited four of the 6 gallon carboys, filled 228 375's and 11 750's. I'll be using the 375's (with a special label) as gifts for all of the attendees at my daughters wedding in February. The wine is quite tasty, really good fruit, not too tannic and a lot of caramel in the finish, really came out great!!
Really nice gesture, I'm sure your daughter really appreciates it.

Latest posts

Back