2018 Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, I noticed your bottles all have the plastic shrink tops on them. How do you apply them? Boiling water? Steam? I can never get them on perfectly.

John, I noticed your bottles all have the plastic shrink tops on them. How do you apply them? Boiling water? Steam? I can never get them on perfectly.

I have a charcoal lighter called a “LooftLighter”, which I use to shrink them on. It’s much like a heat gun / hairdryer combo, and works like a charm. https://www.looftlighter.com/en/home/ Does the job in seconds, no water, no wrinkles.

I have a charcoal lighter called a “LooftLighter”, which I use to shrink them on. It’s much like a heat gun / hairdryer combo, and works like a charm. https://www.looftlighter.com/en/home/ Does the job in seconds, no water, no wrinkles.

That's a pretty cool little toy.

I use the boiling water. Simple, and the steam gives me one final chance to clean the outside of the bottles before applying the labels.

Oh my goodness, I want one! Santa and his elves might have to hustle this year, since they previously had nothing to make for me.

That's a pretty cool little toy.

I use the boiling water. Simple, and the steam gives me one final chance to clean the outside of the bottles before applying the labels.

Oh my goodness, I want one! Santa and his elves might have to hustle this year, since they previously had nothing to make for me.

It’s pretty slick for sure, been using one for years, it’ll change the way you start your lump charcoal. Keep one up at the property for the Primo up there as well.

Here is the tool I have and use for opening bags and then, if I apply shrink wraps. They go into the J part of this tool, then into boiling water for a very short time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OKJ4S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That’s essentially the same tool I’m using too. I don’t have a pic handy, but same idea. But using a heat gun with bottles upright instead of boiling water and bottles upside down— so same tool (metal) with an extra 90° bend A816D570-EA47-4C6A-B612-8662E9513976.jpeg

That’s essentially the same tool I’m using too. I don’t have a pic handy, but same idea. But using a heat gun with bottles upright instead of boiling water and bottles upside down— so same tool (metal) with an extra 90° bend

When using the heat gun / Looft type device, you don't need that tool. Just set the capsule in place and hold the bottom of the capsule with your fingers while passing the heat stream over the top of the capsule this shrinks the top to the bottle top, quick spin of the bottle with your hands while directing the heat lower shrinks the bottom part in place. Takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

Back on track with a quick update. After filling a barrel I typically check it after the first week, and that was today. Quite a surprise to see the levels so low, though I know new barrels gobble wine, it took nearly 1/2 gallon to top up tonight. Fortunately had the 1/2 gallon jug awaiting, suppose that I’ll have to bottle the 6 gallons for future toppings....

When using the heat gun / Looft type device, you don't need that tool. Just set the capsule in place and hold the bottom of the capsule with your fingers while passing the heat stream over the top of the capsule this shrinks the top to the bottle top, quick spin of the bottle with your hands while directing the heat lower shrinks the bottom part in place. Takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds.

Yea man. I know it’s not necessary. Just keeps my digits away from the heat gun. Really anything could be used simply to steady the cap. I just use a heavy gauge wire with some bends on it rather than my fingers.
Btw— have you taken a ph reading recently on the cab?
And Merry Christmas!

Back