2018 in the vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, novice grower and winemaker here, with Marquette vines in their third year in Ohio. Did not spray fungicide, being a tree-hugging wannabe, and no signs of disease first 2 years. Black rot got about 1/2 my 3rd year crop, but I still have a lot left that look nice. Next year the spray tanks will be primed and ready. It was actually a pretty full crop for year 3, more than I expected, anyway, so I guess I'm prob. still where I thought I would be in terms of yield this year. 18 vines. Bought some "practice" Marquette grapes last fall from Michigan, and the carboy is about ready to bottle, and I'm optimistic about the potential! I do have one vine showing colors, but when I looked closely, I see the vine is stressed. Funny little spongy "fingers" coming out of slightly swollen area around the base, picture included. Crown gall?View attachment 49839 View attachment 49840

Hmmm, well Marquette is winter hardy, so it probably isn't winter damage. As for galling, it looks like an interesting abnormality. If it's the crown gall bacterium, then I don't know what to tell you. If you want to stay organic, the try Serenade and Neem oil. Use often and regularly to help your vines fight the fungi. They are not as effective as some of the chemical fungicides, but they are considered safe . I've read that people drink Neem oil for it's health benefits(not me cause it stinks), so it can't be that dangerous. If you start with a dormant oil early, that will help too. I'd contact your local extension office to see if they can direct you to someone that could evaluate the issue. I'm not sure what part of Ohio you are in, but OSU has a research center at Piketon with a viticulturist handy.

[QUOTE Im intrigued by that guy wanting to use Sangiovese for a Rose thats not what its used for normally. But to each their own. I really like Sangio. And Tempranillo, but tempranillo where I live tends to make hot tasting wines, with agressive alcohol that need a good bit of aging to mellow out. Ive got a guy pretty much half a mile away that runs a small winery, that grows tempranillo.QUOTE]

Well, mildew is about 12 vines or so. Not sure if I should panic, so I did.. I hit the whole vineyard with Rally and some oil today, what a local field man recommends. Hopefully....as for the Sangiovese rose, it is pretty common around here. I made 30 lbs, 6 bottles last year. Not impressed. OK but I’d like more fruit. Hopefully the guy will come through and make some, that way I can compare.

@keverman I think those are called aerial roots, which can occur during humid periods. Cornell has an article about them that says they will eventually dry up and go away. If it is crown gall, there is nothing to do for it. It will eventually suffocate the growth above it and kill it. Hopefully a sucker will shoot out below that and you can cut it out and start over.

Hmmm, well Marquette is winter hardy, so it probably isn't winter damage. As for galling, it looks like an interesting abnormality. If it's the crown gall bacterium, then I don't know what to tell you. If you want to stay organic, the try Serenade and Neem oil. Use often and regularly to help your vines fight the fungi. They are not as effective as some of the chemical fungicides, but they are considered safe . I've read that people drink Neem oil for it's health benefits(not me cause it stinks), so it can't be that dangerous. If you start with a dormant oil early, that will help too. I'd contact your local extension office to see if they can direct you to someone that could evaluate the issue. I'm not sure what part of Ohio you are in, but OSU has a research center at Piketon with a viticulturist handy.
Thanks for the organic info!!

@keverman I think those are called aerial roots, which can occur during humid periods. Cornell has an article about them that says they will eventually dry up and go away. If it is crown gall, there is nothing to do for it. It will eventually suffocate the growth above it and kill it. Hopefully a sucker will shoot out below that and you can cut it out and start over.
YES! Thank you, I google aerial roots and that's it. Interestingly, that vine went into veraison a good 2 weeks earlier than the rest....

The robins were starting to pick at my muscat, so netting went on today.
Took a solid 3 hours to get everything netted. There is this area in the photos, then 2 25 foot rows more of Muscat, and another 25 foot row of riesling. Also have a few table grape vines. This is the first time I've netted the table grapes, and I used every last inch of netting. Still have a few holes here and there, but this should protect most of it.

20180804_123623.jpg 20180804_192356.jpg

My Frontenac is at 27 brix. Going to spot check again tomorrow but seriously thinking about picking my little batch.
Wow, not even near verasion here. I’m thinking of netting in a couple of weeks. Tucking shoots and plucking leaves tomorrow.

Wow, not even near verasion here. I’m thinking of netting in a couple of weeks. Tucking shoots and plucking leaves tomorrow.

Veraison first week of July here. I restested with a bigger sample: 24 brix, but pH 2.79, and TA still very high, I stopped adding at 1.2%. So we wait.

Same my criolla hasnt even began and im blown away im wondering if they even will.

IMG_6900a.JPG A bunch of friends came over Sunday and attacked the vineyard like locusts. I got the mowing done, then we weed wacked the rows, tucked shoots, tightened wires and green harvested. I don’t think it has ever looked this good mid summer. No sign of color except for the Gwertraminer. Nets in the next week or so.

View attachment 50311 A bunch of friends came over Sunday and attacked the vineyard like locusts. I got the mowing done, then we weed wacked the rows, tucked shoots, tightened wires and green harvested. I don’t think it has ever looked this good mid summer. No sign of color except for the Gwertraminer. Nets in the next week or so.
Damn that does look nice :). I wish my grapes werent going to take untill like 2020 to start producing because i think im going to go crazy waiting.

7990D73E-0285-4E73-B341-4FDC711453AC.jpeg A2E93468-83CB-49FE-911B-B2BEB8768DC5.jpeg Nets are all on and verasion is happening, particularly for Tempranillo and Sangio, photo. Fortunately for the fire fighters, it has been cool and humid, but it does make for smoke. Nearest fire is 8-10 miles away by crow, so no danger but irritating to the lungs. I hope it clears soon so we don’t get a bunch of smoke taint.

View attachment 50470 View attachment 50471 Nets are all on and verasion is happening, particularly for Tempranillo and Sangio, photo. Fortunately for the fire fighters, it has been cool and humid, but it does make for smoke. Nearest fire is 8-10 miles away by crow, so no danger but irritating to the lungs. I hope it clears soon so we don’t get a bunch of smoke taint.
Those Grapes are looking good. I cant wait to hear how the wine turns out. :)

verasion is happening

It has been a weird year for me. Started harvesting today (up at dawn, out of the field by 9:00 AM -- we are in the forth week of a heat wave here).

But calling when to harvest was difficult. Ripening was all over the place. Some bunches were under ripe, some were over ripe, and some were so far gone they were raisins on brown stems. I have never experienced such a wide variation before.

I am trying to time all my harvest this year to get the most clusters at a decent ripeness and avoid having to make multiple harvest passes (I just don't have the time/labor pool to organize multiple passes). But I will loose some clusters with that strategy, which is a pity.

2018-08-22 07.57.36.jpg

Last edited:
We have a small city vineyard. :)I might get a gallon of wine if the birds don't get them all.

Attachments

• Grapes 2018.jpg
    Grapes 2018.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 28
Back