Southeast Kansas vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivywoods

Reaction score
Fruitland vineyard.jpg
We recently purchased this place with a small vineyard. It's hard to tell from the picture but a number of the vines are dead and the live ones have wayward growth stretching 20-30 feet along the wire. I will be replace a number of them. What is left is most likely concord.
I've spent the last few months studying pruning, talking with a mentor, and deciding what varieties I want to plant. I want to add a white and a red wine grape as well as a multipurpose red such as reliance. I think I've finally decided. After studying trying different wines I've decided I want "Pink Pearl" for a red and "Traminette" for a white. I am enjoying a glass of traminette right now. It is wonderful! I'm not a professional when it comes to wine, but I have a pretty good idea of what I like and over the last few months have tried to expand my experience. I'm super excited to get started!

And yes, I know those trees at the back have to go. They are not a desirable variety, anyway, and the rest of the yard is well wooded with pecan and other trees.

Wow that is awesome. I planted 10 Reliance 2 years ago. Anxiously waiting for the payoff.

Do you mind if I what part of Kansas is your location? I'm in SE Kansas.

Hi, I'm an hour west of Wichita. Nice to meet another Kansan! Not sure where you are from Mulvane but Wyldewood Cellars Winery is a awesome tour when they do them. :h

I've been out that way many times. It's a little drier there than here. That's probably a good thing for a vineyard. My little vineyard is not on a slope and I'm wondering if the ground is too wet for a good part of the year. I guess you just never know about the weather around here!

View attachment 72881
We recently purchased this place with a small vineyard. It's hard to tell from the picture but a number of the vines are dead and the live ones have wayward growth stretching 20-30 feet along the wire. I will be replace a number of them. What is left is most likely concord.
I've spent the last few months studying pruning, talking with a mentor, and deciding what varieties I want to plant. I want to add a white and a red wine grape as well as a multipurpose red such as reliance. I think I've finally decided. After studying trying different wines I've decided I want "Pink Pearl" for a red and "Traminette" for a white. I am enjoying a glass of traminette right now. It is wonderful! I'm not a professional when it comes to wine, but I have a pretty good idea of what I like and over the last few months have tried to expand my experience. I'm super excited to get started!
you got a nice looking yard,
Dawg

Looks like a big ol' pecan tree in the back. I really enjoy Traminette when I can get a glass of it.
There are a number of pecan trees in the yard, but they are not the ones hanging over the vineyard. One is a hedge tree (osage orange) and the other I'm not sure about but I'll figure that one out pretty soon when it greens up.

I've been out that way many times. It's a little drier there than here. That's probably a good thing for a vineyard. My little vineyard is not on a slope and I'm wondering if the ground is too wet for a good part of the year. I guess you just never know about the weather around here!

My grape vines are not on a slope either. I,m quite new at this but so far I still have all 10 of the Reliance that I planted. My soil is quit sandy. Sand Plum bushes everywhere!! Hope we dont get a late freeze. I hope to get sand plums again this year.

Last edited:
I have a batch of sandplum wine ready to bottle. I'm just aging it in the carboy for a little while yet. A local to the area said they think the vines (the ones that are left) in my neglected vineyard I purchased are concord. I am planning to plant some traminette and petite pearl. I was going to plant some reliance, but was struggling between reliance, Canadice and Fredonia. If this keeps up I'm going to have to expand this area. There is room for 21 vines now.

Thats nice that your doing Sand Plum. I honestly didnt think I would like it in the beginning, How wrong I was! Yes Good Luck with your replanting.

Welcome aboard! I'm straight north of Wamego, about thirty mi from the Ne boarder. North end of the flint hills. Planted some about 18 years ago, when we moved up here from Manhattan. Now have almost two acres of grapes, five varieties. I'm starting to get old, but I still add something new in as I run across something I like!

Welcome aboard! I'm straight north of Wamego, about thirty mi from the Ne boarder. North end of the flint hills. Planted some about 18 years ago, when we moved up here from Manhattan. Now have almost two acres of grapes, five varieties. I'm starting to get old, but I still add something new in as I run across something I like!
HI Treesaver! Nice to see another Kansan on here! I'm curious what varieties you are growing and what ones you have had the best success with. I am thinking I want to replace some of the dead and damaged vines here with Petit Pearl and Traminette.

I assume Manhattan, KS. Wamego is just NW of there. I know there are vineyards along the I-70 corridor. Wamego is only a few miles N of I-70.

Yes, Manhattan Ks! lol NY! Ivy, I been growing concord, cataba, frontenac, norton and the latest one is verona. A spraying incident a couple years ago, hurt my concords bad, and killed some of my older verona vines. The farmers around here seem to spray everything, and only care about their grass, so it's a battle to try to keep grapes going here. The last two years, now being the second, we had cold springs, with weather in the twentys, well after bud burst. Not sure yet how bad it is this year, but some of the buds are toast. Last year, it hurt production by way over half, so I hate the thought of another year like last. My poor concord vines were weakened by the spray, then were green when I pruned in early march. By the time the freezing weather was done, I lost at least six vines, and a bunch had one or both cordons dead. Another ten came, back from the ground, and I ended up not having enough to pick.Now in the process of tying up and retraining a bunch of vines that were at their peak before the spraying. Dang spray plane banked and turned right over my vinyard, saw him do it! They were spraying 24D mixed with toredon.

Latest posts

Back