2014 or 2015 on label

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the date I pitch the yeast and it turns to wine. But ya'll use whatever date you want, after all it's your wine!

Date of harvest and subsequent date yeast pitched are usually pretty close. These dates would be critical for gathering information on the growing conditions for a particular crop which in turn is the first input to the equation of what makes that crop so-so or exceptional. Can be a resource when determining your next purchase of juice or grapes.

I always go with the philosophy that the year is determined by when the fruit was harvested.

I know that this must be tough when making wine from Welch's, since opening a can is not harvesting fruit, but you could always used the "sell by" date.

I put the time they were crushed/fermented. I usually leave the red wines in a carboy for bulk aging for about a year, then bottle. Custom is that you date the wine from the harvest/crush but for your own wine you can put whatever date you want on the label.

Rich - I did google it a bit and found that you pay tax per gallon according to this article
http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/wine.pdf

It only makes sense to me to be taxed on what you sold -
what happened if you ruined a complete batch of wine ? do you still have to pay the government ?

Actually, there are two kinds of taxes - excise tax and sales tax. Both the Federal Government and State Governments charge an excise tax on the production of the wine. This must be paid before a wine is moved from a bonded-wine production area to non-bonded areas.

Sales taxes are local (state, county, city) and are due when the wine is actually sold.

If wine is ruined and disposed of there is paperwork to do to document the loss and excise taxes are not required. It has never left the bonded wine facilities.

I always thought it was the year of the harvest for commercial wines. But last night, I had a Merlot that said "Vinted 2012", whatever that means. :)

Latest posts

Back