2008 Windsor Oaks Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
Wine is ready to add Super-Kleer, as per directions.

Question :
#1 wine is clear as a bell (what ever that means) directions do not say to rack, are Lees are supposed to be mixed back into suspension?

#2 If it's clear why add Super-Kleer?

#3 If it's clear why filter?

Thanks. bk

1. Clear as a bell actually refers to sound. What kind of kit is this, if it is a kit? It's hard to provide advice not knowing what you have done ( is it stabilized?). Generally, you should follow directions until you become confident enough to deviate. WineExpert kits want you to stir in the sediment so it can grab the small stuff and settle it out but they don't use superclear as a fining agent. Spagnols use a superclear fining agent but don't want you to stir up sediment. This is just the way their fining agents work. That's why it's important to follow their directions.
2. See1.
3. Even though a wine appears clear, it may still contain some stuff that will fall out - fining a clear wine is intended to "polish it". When you wash a car it is clean, but you want it to shine so you take that extra step to polish it. This. of course, is a personal choice.

Edit - sorry, just noticed that this was posted in the juice bucket section so disregard my comments on kits.

Last edited:
If its thats clear I wouldnt use any SuperKleer myself but must say that with whites I do prefer to filter it and youd be surprised that even though its clear how much brighter it will come out. Unless you are bulk aging for at least 4 months there is still a good possibility that it will still drop out fine sediment in bottles if bottled now.

Back