2 new pieces of equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't completely rely on those numbers scotty. I use carboy handles, and with them the cap doesn't fit all the way on, so I have to hold them on with my hands. With my MityVac, I have a gauge and will "allow" it to cave in around those numbers. You can play with yours and come up with the same results. However I would guess, safely, that if you fit the cap on snuggly, then you could watch the top of the orange cap sink in, at that point, as memory serves me (poorly these days) you'd be in the 18HG range. I'll have to experiment for ya and take some pictures and post for you.

Im still waiting for a couple of see through filter canisters to put in line in case i foam up too much.

The vacum controll switch says it is set for 55 torr so i will have to try to adjust it. It is used and no real instructions. The website gives specs but no adjustment instructions. I'll have to take the cover off and use my imagination i guess.

>
>
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/wine%20making/DSCF0554.jpg?t=1199293016Edited by: scotty

jobe05 said:
Don't completely rely on those numbers scotty. I use carboy handles, and with them the cap doesn't fit all the way on, so I have to hold them on with my hands. With my MityVac, I have a gauge and will "allow" it to cave in around those numbers. You can play with yours and come up with the same results. However I would guess, safely, that if you fit the cap on snuggly, then you could watch the top of the orange cap sink in, at that point, as memory serves me (poorly these days) you'd be in the 18HG range. I'll have to experiment for ya and take some pictures and post for you.
<
<
I remember what you said about the cap as a safety.
Ill try for ten to 15 inches first ans see what it takes to get the larger bubbles.
This will be all guess work.

How do you seal off the second inlet to the cap.

I am asuming you are using one of those orange caps with 2 inlets

The orange carboy caps come with little caps for the two inlets.

PeterZ said:
The orange carboy caps come with little caps for the two inlets.

ill have to see if i still have them in my misc. supply box.

Thanks for the reminder pete
smiley1.gif

Back