RJ Spagnols 2 New Batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttalsma said:
wade said:
The Ice wine and the Blueberry mel sure are taking there time to get to
racking but there almost there. Theyre bubbling away though. Should be
ready to rack in the next few days. The melomel is at 1.034 and the Ice
is at 1.065. The ice wine will finish off between 1.050-1.060. I will
be racking the Watermelon White Merlot when the other 2 get racked so I
can clean all the stuff at once. They all smell really good. Ill be
starting the Blueberry Pinot Noir and the Symphony late this week or
this weekend. I also finally purchased a Portuguese floor corker to
ease bottling.

Wade,

Do you have a recipe for the Blueberry Melomel? I'm thinking about making some, so a recipe would be helpful!

Thanks

Well I started my 1st batch in my new room and it feels good to have alot of clean area.

6 gallon batch of above

15 lbs. of honey

9 lbs. frozen Wymans wild blueberries

3 lbs fresh blueberries frozen

3/8 tsp liquid pectic enzyme

6 tsp acid blend

2 quarts Wymans blueberry juice

4.5 gallons hot water to stir up the honey and breakdown the blueberries better.

6 tsp of yeast nutrient

3 tsp yeast energizer

6 crushed campden tabs since I still have some and will only use them in the beginning and to make sanitizer.

Starting SG of 1.100

Red Star Pasteur Red yeast.

This is a recipe by Waldo in which I tweahed to my taste. I wanted a little more Blueberry up front.

20070520_214234_Batch.jpg

20070520_214521_Sack_o_Blueberr.jpg

Edited by: wade

Will be racking bothe Ice and melomel to carboys tomorrow as the Ice is
stable at 1.054 and the melomel is at 1.015. The Watermelon White
Merlot will also be racked off the sediment from clearing and I will
probably start the Blueberry Pinot Noir and the Symphony. I think the
Labodega Port may be the next kit or maybe an all juice bucket. Hey
George!
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

Racked the Watermelon White Merlot and the Ice Wine today and even polished the Watermelon with a Vinbrite gravity filter.
20070609_143304_Watermelon_Merl.jpg

This is the filter pad after clearing for more time than recommended per instructions, had to try out this new toy.

20070609_143452_Filter_Pad.jpg

Heres the Ice wine getting degassed prior to adding the clarifier with a Mityvac brake bleeder.
20070609_143745_Ice_wine_gettin.jpg

20070609_143840_Ice_Wine_Degass.jpg

That Ice wine getting de-gassed is how my Apple Cider looked the other day.....Guess I was natural de-gassing....

Wonder if I could have added the priming sugar and bottled it...or...would it have exploded???

When are you going to dégorge your wine and get those walls broke-in???

Very soon, I keep meaning to clear the way to get my freezer plugged in and forget.

Its been almost 1 year since the Ice Wine was made and it wasnt very good when done so I have not had a bottle since Ive bottled it and decided to finally pull a bottle off the shelf and try it. I must say that it is awesome now! I cant believe how great this wine has turned out as it was terrible before and thats the reason I havent touched it since. Im glad I did a dble batch of this. If anyone has tried Ice wine and liked it I highly recommend this kit but you will definitely have to give it 8 months to a year to come around, probably cause it has a lot of solids in it as its an All-Juice kit. It is the RJ Spagnols White Ice wine kit, George carries the Red and that is actually the 1 I ordered locally but received the wrong 1 but in my eyes now thats OK. I will try the Red some day though.

Hey Wade, thanks for updating this thread. I am probably not the only one who appreciates your posting your results. Glad you liked the wine.

I love the white Cru Select icewine. The Cellar Classic Vidal icewine is even better than the the Cru Select, at least to my palate. Both are fantastic though! Glad you liked it.

Back