1st time with brew belt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just unwrapped my new brew belt & was shocked to read DO NOT use on glass carboys. Plastic buckets only. Is this just CYA, or can I use it on glass car boys? Thought it would be a good way to increase temp. so de-gassing would go better. Roy

I read that as well. I have used it many times on a glass carboy and I have never heard of one breaking because of the heat belt. I think it is CYA for the manufacturer. That being said, to be as careful as possible: never put it on a cold carboy, never leave it on an empty carboy, never add cold water to warm carboy etc. drastic temp. changes to glass can cause issues. If everything is at room temperature and your carboy is in good shape I think you will be OK. There are probably a couple other things to watch for, I'm sure some of the others will chime in and add to what I missed.

I have had mine on glass for about three weeks now with no problem. I have them set up on a temperature controller.

Disclaimer: I am not recommending using them on glass, I think you should always follow the MFG. directions.

9a39de77.jpg

Many of us use brew belts and I have not heard of anyone having an issue with using them on glass. As far as a temperature controller, some of us just put a shim of some type between the belt and the carboy to adjust the temperature. I personally bought a simple, plug in, lamp dimmer from Home Depot. Adjust it to the temperature you want, then just forget it. It works great.

I have been using them for years on plastic and glass with no problems and no shims. Adjust them up or down on the carboy. up for cooler lower for more heat.

Been using on glass for many years. Just dont put one on a very cold carboy just as you wouldnt fill a very cold carbiy with hot water as it will crack!!!!!! Slowly bring the temp of the glass up then put the brew belt on.

Brew belt w/Johnson temp control

photobucket-2132-1324391374367.jpg

Started my RJS Malbec today with brew belt set to 72

Latest posts

Back