WineXpert 1st choice for a newbie?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appleman:

thanks for the insight. I had pretty much figured at 6-7% the IM kits were going to make coolers. My initial idea was to get something in the bottle we could drink while I worked on a more serious endeavor. I'm glad to hear the Australian Shiraz was a worthwhile kit as I must admit to having given it a serious look. Besides the Lady of the house has expressed an interest in a Shiraz as well as a Merlot and a Pinot Noir. I guess she figures once I retire in Nov '06 I'll have plenty of time on my hands, can't say as I disagree.
smiley36.gif

In any event, this has been a wonderful experience so far and I look forward to sharing pix of the project as soon as I return from this little trip I need to take. Additionally, I don't want to get too stacked up as the house is up for sale and we're moving to a mountain in WVa. to hunt, fish, make split bamboo fly rods and a little wine now and then. Nice retirement plans eh?

Pepere

Oh Man I envy you. I have another 14 years to go and I'm already ready,
even if my 401K isn't

When you get to the serious stuff, the WE International Sangiovese is
fantastic as is the Murray River Reserve.

Ok, I know I'm not being patient enough, but someone tell me about the way young whites taste? What should I expect when I can't wait and taste a white that is only three weeks in the bottle. I've tasted the chianti early and it wasn't too bad, young, not much boquet but alright. The two whites I've made thus far, VR white zin and Italian Pinot Gregio both have very poor after taste when young.

Ok Ok Ok, i've read enough to know that I shouldn't expect much but I guess I need to be reassured that it's ok and after six months or so this stuff is going to be approachable.

Thanks,

drtdoctor

Edited by: DrtDoctor

DrtDoctor said:
Ok, I know I'm not being patient enough, but someone tell me about the way young whites taste?

I think experience is the best answer here. The more you've compared a "brand-spankin' new" wine to one of the same class 6 months then 12 months, etc, down the road, you'll know. I cannot say what any wine is "supposed" to taste like at bottling because I make quite unique wines.Almost like asking how should an underripe apple taste?

Every wine is a new work of art, so every outcome is a mystery. The more experience you get, however, you can basically say, "I bet it'll move in this direction" but you can never be so sure. Temperature and aging conditions play a big role in this.

My suggestion to you: Taste it now. Have a nice, big glass of it now. And make good notes (UC Davis has a great tasting-notes section) Bottle it. Leave it for at least 6 months (a year is better). Taste it again, using the UC Davis scoring system. Did it get better or worse? In which way? Did the oak come out more, or did the tannins overpower it? Is it sour or did you sweeten too much? This is why notetaking is so vital to our hobby. It takes FOREVER to get it ***perfect***. And that is why we try to assess a wine when it is new. Maybe because we spend so much time trying to get it right, that we hope the beginning taste can give us a hint.

I know first-hand, however, that this is not the case all the time. I had a great wine, right out of the carboy. Drank it, but with caution, because I thought, "Oh, it's just going to get better."

Wrong.
smiley18.gif
It got worse. Now I have like 20 bottles of mediocre wine. Not bad, but not as great as it was young. So make good notes, and make lots of wine. :)

Well, that was my super-duper long post. It's funny, almost the exact same question was simultaneously posted on another forum.

Petercopper:

It's been a long haul to get here that's for sure. It's completed now
2006-03-28_055323_southwest2.jpg

But, this is the future home of Sideling Mountain Winery at least what it looked like a little over a year ago. In a five mile radius I have the Great Cacapon River the Potomac river and five trout streams. We're about 1900 feet above sea level on a little over 6acres. Yes, its a bit small, not a mansion by any stretch but, who wants to spend time cleaning when there's all that fishing and wine making to do?
smiley36.gif
We bought the shell and I finished the interior. 2beds and a bath on the first floor a 600 sq ft loaft as a master bedroom and a full basement for hobbies!
smiley4.gif
What more could an old retired sailor want in life?

Pepere,

Now that is my idea of retirement!
smiley32.gif
I'm betting the hunting isn't half bad either
smiley2.gif
.Edited by: pkcook

I don't hunt anymore. Used to do a lot of it but you're correct. Counted 17deer pass within 40' of the house a month ago. My wife went for a walk and saw a dozen wild turkey cross about 50 yds from our front door. We also have a resident bear that goes about 350lbs. No bird feeders 'cause Mr. bear likes 'em too much. He just rips them apart for yucks and giggles I guess. The idea was to grow just enough grapes to make our own scratch wine but, the critters just get into them and it's too much trouble keeping them out.

Our house on the Chesapeake Bay is up for sale and some time between now and Nov we're at the new cabin on the Mountain. Down sizing and living with a little less. I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back