1 Gal batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leelanau

Reaction score
Leelanau here... Most fruit wines are 1 gal batches. How to convert to 6 gal batches like kits? Or best to stay at 1 gal? If at 1 gal, what do I use as a primary and secondary fermentor? I have equipment from George used to make 6 gal batches. Leelanau

Leelanau

I started with 1 gal batches also. I used to just use the gal jug with a rubber glove. When I modernized & first used an airlock, the must madie to the ceiling & all over the kitche.

Now I use a 2 or 3 gal bucket as primary for the first week of active fermentation & then go to the gal jug. Wife's happier!

Oops, I meant to say the must made it to the ceiling... can't type.

You can get smaller fermenters from George. Most recipes for fruit wines are adaptable to larger batches.

Leelanau:

I went to the local bakery and asked for a frosting bucket 3Gal capacity. I use that for primary, then I bought a couple of gal of wine, and use those jugs for secondary. I do many 1 gal batches, I have a wine recipe book that is all for 1 gal batches. Hope this helps... jhEdited by: kutya

Leelanau,
To try to answer your converting question, multiply the fruit/nutrient proportional to the gallon, acid and sugar are best measured; any recipe that nails down amount of acid and sugar for fruit wines is just a ballpark. I'd say add half or 2/3 what you think you require, test and readjust. Easy to add, hard to take away. Go with the full packet of yeast; pectic according to the package.
LT

Leelanau,

Our local doughnut shop sales their icing buckets (3 gal)for $1. I did my part for the local economy and got one.

A lot of people will tell you that they only do large (5-6 gal) batches because it is just as easy. Although easy, I still experiment with 1 gallon batches to fine the country wines I like and then I make them in larger amounts. Yes, you only get 4-5 bottles, but you also don't have 30 bottles of a wine you don't like sitting around!

My first batch of wine was a welches red grape and I bought a 2 gallon bucket from the Dollar Store (still use it with a dish towel and a rubber band)and while it was fermenting, I drank the wine from a 4L jug I bought. Mananged to drink all the winein the 5 days it took for primary fermentation
smiley36.gif

I think others have answered this, but converting from 1 to6 is easy. Everything is multiplied by 6 except the yeast. One package is good for 5 gallons, but I push it to 6!Edited by: pkcook

OK, the doughnut shop will work as my mom worked for a local bakery for many years and we still know the owners. I'll head over and get a 3 gal icing bucket. A 1 gal carboy would work for the secondary obvioulsy with appropriate bung and airlock. I could rack from carboy to my 6 gal primary with spicket for bottling. I bottled straight from the spicket to the bottles for my first 6 gal kit a few months ago. Worked better than using the hose and bottle filler. I do like the idea of buying 1 gal wine jugsand drinking them for sake of emptying the container,though. Leelanau

Addition - I am looking at the Pineapple Wine from Juice recipie on finevines and I am wondering a few things: The general directions on these recipies raise a few questions. First, if I'm just using juice I am guessing I won't need a bag and won't need to press "pulp". Right? Second, what about ingredients that kit wines have in them like bentonite and some of the other fining and clearing agents - need any of those? I had some pineapple wine from Hawaii brought to me a few years ago and I now that I know how to make wine, I'm on board for giving this a shot. Leelanau

I do not use bentonite in the beginning as I used to any more more
because I have not noticed any difference in clearing time so why use
extra money and ingredients.

Leelanau,

With juice, I wouldn't worry about bentonite. Make sure you add the pectic enzyme though. Most, if not all, of my country wines have cleared fine on their own. I've only had a mead that clouded up and would not clear and I had to use Super-Kleer KC on it.

pkcook said:
Leelanau,

Our local doughnut shop sales their icing buckets (3 gal)for $1. I did my part for the local economy and got one.

A lot of people will tell you that they only do large (5-6 gal) batches because it is just as easy. Although easy, I still experiment with 1 gallon batches to fine the country wines I like and then I make them in larger amounts. Yes, you only get 4-5 bottles, but you also don't have 30 bottles of a wine you don't like sitting around!

My first batch of wine was a welches red grape and I bought a 2 gallon bucket from the Dollar Store (still use it with a dish towel and a rubber band)and while it was fermenting, I drank the wine from a 4L jug I bought. Mananged to drink all the winein the 5 days it took for primary fermentation
smiley36.gif

I think others have answered this, but converting from 1 to6 is easy. Everything is multiplied by 6 except the yeast. One package is good for 5 gallons, but I push it to 6!

hi PK:
I have read here about throughing 5 gal. down the drain!
Thats a hell of a waste of wine
I like the gallons as I can make more choices and if I find a
good one then I will make a fiver

I have had to do that but it was because I made an error with sulfite,
not because I didnt like the wine, heck it never even made it to wine.
smiley6.gif

wadewade:
I was thinking of you when I said that about dumping it down the sink.
I will be glad when I get something to drink. I get tired of the store bought vintages.
the pear I doctored up only has 2 1/2 mo. on it that was my first and I
have 8 gallons of different mixes racked a couple of times that are
pretty clear
I will make the grape and peach next, I guess I can use another recipt
if I don't get one from here.
Keep drinkin Bill

Latest posts

Back