Blackberry/Elderberry Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
I'll be starting this mead soon and I'm just looking for input.
This will be my largest (and most expensive) batch of mead and I don't want to screw it up.
I'm loosely basing it on Skyrim's Black Briar mead (never goes into how it's actually made, but for some odd reason I keep picturing things foraged from a heathrow in England...elderberries, blackberries, roses, thorny things, etc)

I'm starting with a large can of Vintner's crushed blackberry and one large can of crushed elderberries. And maybe some black currants.
I'm using blueberry honey.
I'm planning on a 5 to 6 gallon batch @ 11% ABV.

I would also like to use some fruit in primary as well, either blueberry or strawberry. And maybe rosehips? I have a ridiculous amount that haven't used yet that I need to dispose of.....or would that add bitterness to the mead?

I'm also wondering if adding dried elderberries in secondary is advisable or should I just leave it be with all the elderberries in primary.

Last edited:
I would drop the currnant out, add dried elderberries in the primary, pout some strawberries in the secondary along with some elderflowers to add some fragrance, keep at 5 gallons if you want it to be richer, sounds like you want to make a dessert stylr, a good yeast like Ec118 or premier cuvee would crack it up nicely. Think maybe about some oak and a good nutrient schedule. WVMJ

Thanks for chiming in.

Any idea where I can get elderflower? My normal supplier doesn't carry it. And how much would I need for 5 gallons?

I'm not wanting a really sweet mead but I do want one that's a little heavy, if that makes sense.

eta: I was thinking of using KV-1116 or RC 212 yeast. Would you recommend the EC 1118 over either of those?

Well, I got this batch going and now SG is down to 1.006, so I thought I would post an update.

I seemed to clumsily overshoot my mark on several things here, so hopefully it all works out.

Black Briar Mead

1 96 oz can of Elderberries
1 96 oz can of Blackberries
4 lbs blueberries, frozen then thawed
1/2 cup American Oak Powder
2 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectic enzyme
16 lbs blueberry honey
Water to just a touch over 5 gallons
71B yeast

Pitched yeast on 01/12/2015. Starting gravity was 1.102. Oops! (edited because I fat fingered the amount)

I followed this SNA schedule and stirred my batch using my drill twice a day.

Day 0: Rehydrate yeast with Go-Ferm, pitch yeast, then add 4.5g of Fermaid-K and 2g Diammonium Phosphate (DAP)

Day 1, 3, 5, 7, 8: Stir

Day 2, 4, 6: Stir and add 4.5g Fermaid-K and 2g of DAP

On 01/22/2015, SG was @ 1.02 so I added 3 lbs of thawed strawberries, 1/2 c of elderflowers, and 1 oz dried elderberry.

On 01/24/2015, SG is @ 1.006.

I've got it in a big mouth bubbler right now and it does have an airlock on it, but I really need to get it into secondary I think. And on some oak.
I'm not sure that it's been on the strawberries and elderflowers long enough though.

2015-01-22 08.57.08.jpg

2015-01-22 08.53.29.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing pretty good. You did a good job if you got 71B to ferment all that out. We also use the bigmouths for primaries, I just got a box of stockings to stretch over the tops for the first week of fermenting, the ring holds them on very well! WVMJ

Edited the recipe post. I saw your response and wondered why you thought it was a big deal for 71B to handle that. Then saw I had missed a couple of numbers!

Back