First go at figs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those who didn't read the grape thread that I had posted that is where the figs started at. Make a long story short I was gifted 7lbs of figs.
you can read about it all here
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9131

Here is what I did with them
Put the in the freezer for two days while I found out how to deal with them.
Once I found that out here is the recipe I used

2 gallon recipe
7.5lbs of figs thawed and cut in half
700 grams of sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
3 tsp acid blend
-> not normal for me but 1/16 tsp of k-meta
14 cups of water

Yesterday (9/7) I thawed the figs out and cut them in half, put them in a strainer bag and put them in the primary. Added 12 cups of hot water the k-meta and pectic enzyme.
Today (9/8) I squeezed the figs to get the juice out and then checked the SG (1.030) as well as the pH (off the charts). I figured (using the wine calc) that I needed 700 grams of sugar (made in a simple syrup with some of the must) to bring the SG up to 1.080. When I figured this I only used a 1.5 gallon must instead of 2 gallons, mainly because after I remove the fruit it will probably be around 1.5 gallons. This might make the ABV a little lower but thats better than rocket fuel. Then I corrected the pH by adding 2 tsp of acid blend then checking and adding another 1 tsp of acid blend to bring the pH down to 3.4, the reason for that amount of acid blend is two fold. 1 is because figs don't have that much acid in them and 2 my tap water is around 7.8 which doesn't help in the wine making field.
Once the SG and pH were corrected I pulled the fruit bag out and though that it needed about 2 more cups of water, I am glad that it didn't affect the SG or the pH that much so I just left it that way. That is also where the 14 total cups come from.
Then added the rest of the ingredients, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, and finally the yeast (K1-V1116)
I will update as things progress.

Sounds like a plan, you didn use pectic enzyme in there also right?

thats it, I quit!!!!!!!!!!!! I think its time to get my eyes checked! :(

well at least you get a pass on the corner since you are the admin, otherwise I think someone would be along to put you in the corner.

This was moved from the primary into a secondary 1 gallon jug with a little less than a quart left over. The SG was already at .996 when I moved it. By the next morning it was already starting to clear, it is a very bright pink looking wine. I didn't try it yet but hopefully it wont be too bad, as I have heard that figs dont make a very good wine. Each to thier own I suppose, and I will just have to find out for myself.

fig wine

if the wine it self is not to your liking ,then try to make a fig cello with some ,aalways want to try it myself:gn

in only wish that figs were still growing here right now. i'd be stockpiling them. the season came and went before i took notice

Back