The taste of too much Kmeta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I had to bottle 1 gallon of year-old Batch of RJ SPAGS super tuscan (I needed the jug space).
However I was one month shy of my three-month racking/Kmeta schedule.
So I found some directions that I found on this form. I took 5 tablespoons of water mixed and a 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta, then added 1 ounce of that mixture to my 1 gallon jug,
Racked to clean jug (just to make sure I wasn't bottling any junk at the bottom)
I bottled my five bottles and ended up having Just a snall glass left to drink for myself.
The wine had a rubbery taste to it.
Could this be too much kmeta?
Or the fact that I had not properly aired the one out for taking a sip?

I'm going to let those five bottles just sit before opening them.
They were the last of my tuscan batch and the rest of the batch does joy taste like this.

Secondary noob question, since my Tuscan was one month shy of my K meta-racking schedule, what I have been safe if I just had bottled it without an extra dose of K meta?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
The wine had a rubbery taste to it.
Could this be too much kmeta?
Or the fact that I had not properly aired the one out for taking a sip?

I am just a newbie, as a veteran poster has forcefully reminded me, so consider the source. Describe "rubbery" a little more. It did not smell like a bandaid, did it? (My understanding is that could be Brett.)

Or did it smell/taste like a rubber stopper, or something else?

Secondary noob question, since my Tuscan was one month shy of my K meta-racking schedule, what I have been safe if I just had bottled it without an extra dose of K meta?

I think this will be an unknowable question without testing. Better safe than sorry.

I am just a newbie, as a veteran poster has forcefully reminded me, so consider the source. Describe "rubbery" a little more. It did not smell like a bandaid, did it? (My understanding is that could be Brett.)

Or did it smell/taste like a rubber stopper, or something else?

I think this will be an unknowable question without testing. Better safe than sorry.

One of my issues is a lack of vocabulary to competently describe tastes of wine.

However after having a sip of this wine the first thing that came to my mind was tart & rubber stopper.
Not much more description.
I am used to tart, as most my wines are straight out of the bottle.
However once they air out a bit they tend to mellow.
In this case the wine has spent the last year in jugs and I tasted a sip of the bottom of the jug.
Maybe it has a bottom of the barrel (jug) taste

No off smell or I should say The wine smelled like wine

Last edited:
Elmer--Excessive amounts of meta don't present wiith a rubbery taste. A rubbery flavor should always make you suspect an undetected H2S problem that is now exhibiting oxidized mercaptans. Not all H2S problems are detected thru smell, so you may think it's impossible to have H2S because you didn't notice any aroma.

To confirm this, I want you to run a bench test----take a small sample of the wine and swirl it with a penny. If the taste improves, then you know it is mercaptans. At that point, you would get some Redulees and treat the wine. Don't try to treat the wine with pennies as this can put too much copper into the wine. The penny is used ONLY as a test. If it does not improve, then you have to suspect other flaws like disulphides.

Of course, since this is only 1 gallon, you could also choose to toss it. Paying more attention to good nutrient management will prevent H2S issues in the future.

Elmer--Excessive amounts of meta don't present wiith a rubbery taste. A rubbery flavor should always make you suspect an undetected H2S problem that is now exhibiting oxidized mercaptans. Not all H2S problems are detected thru smell, so you may think it's impossible to have H2S because you didn't notice any aroma.

To confirm this, I want you to run a bench test----take a small sample of the wine and swirl it with a penny. If the taste improves, then you know it is mercaptans. At that point, you would get some Redulees and treat the wine. Don't try to treat the wine with pennies as this can put too much copper into the wine. The penny is used ONLY as a test. If it does not improve, then you have to suspect other flaws like disulphides.

Of course, since this is only 1 gallon, you could also choose to toss it. Paying more attention to good nutrient management will prevent H2S issues in the future.

I will give it a try once I have a moment (currently at work).
If it were to be H2S, how does that enter into my wine or develop?

:u
I found the below article, tried to give it a quick read.
since it is not in laymans terms I may have missed alot of points.
But the 2 reasons were to do with ageing on yeast lees, which I did not do & degradation of sulfite.

http://www.practicalwinery.com/novdec05/novdec05p26.htm

Last edited:
Well--THAT was very interesting research from UC Davis.

It's not the degredation of sulfite. What it's discussing is the sulphide-based amino acids that produce H2S. In the absence of enough oxygen-based amono acids, some yeast will go after the sulfur-based ones. And as that article states, lack of nutrient AND vitamins together can play a huge role in H2S production. Choosing yeast strain is also noted, as some strains are more prone to H2S than others.

Bottom line is that I think the fault in your wine is sulphide based, due to an undected H2S issue. Try the penny test and see what happens.

It's not the degredation of sulfite. What it's discussing is the sulphide-based amino acids that produce H2S. In the absence of enough oxygen-based amono acids, some yeast will go after the sulfur-based ones. And as that article states, lack of nutrient AND vitamins together can play a huge role in H2S production. Choosing yeast strain is also noted, as some strains are more prone to H2S than others.

Bottom line is that I think the fault in your wine is sulfide based, due to an undected H2S issue. Try the penny test and see what happens.

I know I am putting a horse before a cart or vice-versa, but if it were to be a "sulfide based" issue causing the H2S, would this have to do with the Kmeta I am using.
And would there be a concern for using this same K-meta in all my other wines???

Once again, I will offer my contention that it is not the case that yeast "go after" sulfur-containing amino acids if oxygen-containing ones are not available during fermentation. This contention is consistent with the article that Elmer posted. Here is how I expressed it in an earlier thread:

Just to clarify: While I agree with the actions John suggests, I don't think this is the actual mechanism for H2S production during the active fermentation.

First of all, yeast autolysis is real, but the key word fragment there is auto-. The way it works is that, for whatever reason, a yeast cell dies. Then the enzymes in the now-dead cell begin to break down that cell. It is not the case that starved, zombie yeast cells start eating the brains of other yeast cells. However, John is correct: if yeast autolysis (especially of a large amount of sediment) is allowed to proceed for a long time, then sulfur compounds may be liberated. But this is different from the H2S produced during an active fermentation.

From my reading of the primary and secondary literature, this is my understanding of H2S production and its relation to N deficiency. Proteins are made of amino acids, and two important amino acids contain sulfur. The yeast has to provide the sulfur to form these compounds to the proper organelle during protein synthesis. It does so in the form of H2S, which it extracts from more complex sulfur-containing compounds. One organelle passes the H2S off to the organelle responsible for protein synthesis.

However, nitrogen is a major component of amino acids (hence the root amine, from ammonia.) If there is a dearth of N, the organelle responsible for synthesizing the sulfur-containing amino acid cannot do its job; this results in a surfeit of H2S, which the yeast then excretes.

As John points out, we are extraordinarily sensitive to H2S and thiols (larger SH-containing molecules). That is why they add a tiny (ppm) amount of methane thiol to your natural gas supply, so that you can smell when you have a gas leak. This is good for gas-leak detection, but the unfortunate result for winemaking is that we cannot tolerate very much H2S excretion by our pet yeasts.

Hope this helps!

Elmer---The sulphide is due to the H2S--not sulfite in the meta. Don't be confused by the two. Meta is in no way resonsible for this fault.

Nitrogen is used by the yeast for amino acid generation. Lacking that, SOME yeast grab onto the sulfphur-based ones and generate H2S as a by-product. And,yes of course, the yeast is resonsible for the H2S production.

I believe that your issue is a case of undetected H2S. Did you use nutrient in this batch of wine and if so, how did you use it?

Elmer---The sulphide is due to the H2S--not sulfite in the meta. Don't be confused by the two. Meta is in no way resonsible for this fault.

Nitrogen is used by the yeast for amino acid generation. Lacking that, SOME yeast grab onto the sulfphur-based ones and generate H2S as a by-product. And,yes of course, the yeast is resonsible for the H2S production.

I believe that your issue is a case of undetected H2S. Did you use nutrient in this batch of wine and if so, how did you use it?

No, This was an RJ Spags En Premier kit.
The only addition I have made extra oak, and a stint in the oak barrel.
I then bottled all but a gallon and aged this gallon until bottling.

I have also added K-meta every 3 months as per my racking/Kmeta schedule.

I have no experience with kits, so don't know how they manage nutrients.

But all high sugar musts, such as those that wine is made from, NEED nutrient support.

Ok so I popped a bottle.
First sniff had a stopper rubbery smell.
First sip was tart with an off taste (could just be kit taste)

I dropped a penny in, swirled and tried. Did not Change the taste all too much.
I then filled another glass and let it sit for an hour. After it breathed for a bit the wine opens up, lost the rubbery smell, and had a taste of a well oaked super tuscan.

Thanks for all the help!

After it breathed for a bit the wine opens up, lost the rubbery smell, and had a taste of a well oaked super tuscan.

I think I can help. However, you will need to send me, oooh, 4 to 6 bottles to allow me to complete my analysis of the situation. I'll let you know at that time what you should do next.

Thanks for all the help!

Oh, no problem. In fact, the pleasure was all mine! :D

Again, the main source of S in H2S during active fermentation is not from the breakdown of S-containing amino acids. There are very little of those amino acids in grape must to begin with.

It's not the degredation of sulfite. What it's discussing is the sulphide-based amino acids that produce H2S.

No, that article (UC Davis/Linderholm) is NOT discussing that (although it acknowledges that route is possible). Quoting from that article, and adding emphasis to clarify:

Hydrogen sulfide can come from different sources (Figure I). If sulfur is used in the vineyard too close to harvest, the reductive conditions that are created during fermentation can chemically convert this sulfur to hydrogen sulfide. Volatile sulfur compounds can also be formed during degradation of the sulfur containing amino acids, methionine, and cysteine, which usually are in low concentration in most juices barring supplementation.

The majority of H2S produced occurs during the process by which Saccharomyces makes sulfur-containing amino acids.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is able to reduce sulfate from its environment to sulfide and then incorporate it into amino acids through several more enzymatic steps (Figure II). Sulfide that is not incorporated into these amino acids is converted to H2S in a pH-driven reaction.

As I explained earlier:

There is a lot of room for confusion, as amino acids are BOTH a feedstock for nitrogen (as Turock alludes to above) AND a principal product/component of growing yeast as they reproduce. However, there just isn't that much naturally occuring sulfur-containing amino acids in grape juice to serve as a feedstock to begin with; the source of S is actually the inorganic compounds sulfite and sulfate. (This has been established with radioisotopic labeling.)

Even this description is vastly oversimplified compared to the primary literature. The net implication is the same, of course, viz., provide proper nutrients to your yeast at the proper time. As Turock says, the nutrients are needed during the exponential growth phase, and not afterwards.

As one last example, in another article from the primary literature, we read:
In wine fermentations, H2S is largely formed by reduction of exogenous sulfate during the biosynthesis of the sulfur-containing amino acids cysteine and methionine [7, 10, 24].
(M. Ugliano et al., J. Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology V. 38, pg 423-429 (2011)

Hope that clarifies the source of the S in H2S production during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back