What is the best way to make high proof legal alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you start with a very high gravity liquid and fermented it to the yeasts alcohol tolerance whatever it might be, there would be lots of sugar left in the now finished but extremely sweet wine. after freezing and thawing off the alcohol the remaining liquid would be quite high in sugar.

I read about a guy doing it to a dark beer that he had miscalculated something or other in the recipe. He removed a bunch of alcohol by freezing it and then repitched to the leftover liquid. after that fermented he just mixed the two liquids and bottled it up.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that the part that freezes will be richer in alcohol. It's the other way around.

Also, what would be the point of starting with a gravity above the yeasts' ability to ferment it? Why not choose a SG that your yeast can handle, and ferment to dry.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that the part that freezes will be richer in alcohol. It's the other way around.

Also, what would be the point of starting with a gravity above the yeasts' ability to ferment it? Why not choose a SG that your yeast can handle, and ferment to dry.

not misunderstanding. the part that is richer in alcohol is will indeed take longer to freeze but take much less time to thaw. therefore the first liquid to thaw from the block would be much higher in alcohol then what remains in the block.

you would start way too high so that after the yeast has made, lets say 20 percent alcohol, there would still be lots of sugar left after harvesting the alcohol by freezing. if you ferment dry, there would be no sugar left in the block of wine that the alcohol has thawed from. by going way higher, there would be sugar left in the wine after the yeast died of alcohol poisoning. this sugar would feed a newly pitched packet of yeast to produce more wine from the alcohol stripped "wine must" (lack of better term). then the harvested alcohol could be remixed with the "wine must" after its second fermentation.

heres the article that I read about it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/ice-concentration-to-resurrection.html again, if any of this is not cool here just delete it. I am assuming though, that because the conversation has been allowed to continue this long, nothing taboo has been mentioned.

not misunderstanding. the part that is richer in alcohol is will indeed take longer to freeze but take much less time to thaw. therefore the first liquid to thaw from the block would be much higher in alcohol then what remains in the block.
Okay, the proposed procedure was not clear to me from your first posts. I understand it now.

you would start way too high so that after the yeast has made, lets say 20 percent alcohol, there would still be lots of sugar left after harvesting the alcohol by freezing. if you ferment dry, there would be no sugar left in the block of wine that the alcohol has thawed from. by going way higher, there would be sugar left in the wine after the yeast died of alcohol poisoning. this sugar would feed a newly pitched packet of yeast to produce more wine from the alcohol stripped "wine must" (lack of better term). then the harvested alcohol could be remixed with the "wine must" after its second fermentation.
Or you could start with less sugar, ferment to dry, do your illegal procedure, then add more sugar later if you desired. I still don't understand why you'd put more in to begin with. It just makes it harder to do the first fermentation well.

again, if any of this is not cool here just delete it. I am assuming though, that because the conversation has been allowed to continue this long, nothing taboo has been mentioned.

No, I think it has been made abundantly clear that our understanding of the proposed procedure is illegal in the country that hosts this forum.

Even after warning about this subject a few of you kept pursuing the subject.

Freezing the wine to bump up the alcohol is called fractional distillation and is just as illegal as using a still. If you need to discuss the subject go somewhere else because it is not allowed here.

Pumpkinman closed the thread- end of subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back