Zinfandel Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburling

Reaction score
My local wine club ordered in over a ton of CA Zinfandel grapes. I picked up 6 gallons over the weekend. When I picked it up it was at 1.02 SG. It is still bubbling away tonight although rather slowly. Any suggestions on how to proceed? MLF? Oak Suggestions? Any other additions needed?

I also picked up 3 gallons of Sangiovese as well. Suggestions welcome there as well!

You advice would be much appreciated.

Do you have any ideas what the initial numbers looked like acid, pH, sugar wise? Looks like it's already been fermenting a while. Did it ferment on skins?

What type of yeast was used? Any nutrients added?

I am also making Zin from grape this year. After acid adjustment and soaking on skins with SO2 for 24 hours, I went with RC212 and fermaid K (1/2 at start, half at 1/3 sugar depletion) and tannin ft rouge at start. Once ferment was near finished, I pressed, racked to carboy, let sit 24 hours, racked off gross lees and inoculated with VP41 malolactic bacteria. I also added 1/2 ounce of American oak medium +. I will put it through my barrel once malo is done and may add more oak or a finishing tannin as needed.

Last edited:
Do you have any ideas what the initial numbers looked like acid, pH, sugar wise? Looks like it's already been fermenting a while. Did it ferment on skins?

What type of yeast was used? Any nutrients added?

I am also making Zin from grape this year. After acid adjustment and soaking on skins with SO2 for 24 hours, I went with RC212 and fermaid K (1/2 at start, half at 1/3 sugar depletion) and tannin ft rouge at start. Once ferment was near finished, I pressed, racked to carboy, let sit 24 hours, racked off gross lees and inoculated with VP41 malolactic bacteria. I also added 1/2 ounce of American oak medium +. I will put it through my barrel once malo is done and may add more oak or a finishing tannin as needed.

Wow, did you come to my house? I literally did the EXACT same thing as you except I don't have a barrel so it won't go through that part.

Here's to hoping our Zin's turn out great!

-Josh

Ok just re read this and realized you did grapes and I did a bucket with grapes. Other than that still the same.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I am sure both of our batches will turn out grape!:h

@OP

What did you do with your juice/must?

Latest posts

Back