Zin potassium deficieny

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
A question for you grapevine variety aficionados out there, I am growing a dozen varieties of most popular vinifera and all are growing well and look healthy in year two except my favorite grape, of course... The Zin vine is showing green islands in the veins of the leaves with off-color to browninlg edges. A few older leaves are light brown and dying. New growth, while a little light colored still looks good. It matches potassium deficiency photos pretty well.

So the question: Why is the Zin the only variety to be showing these symptoms while all vines have had the exact same treatment? The other varieties are thriving. Is Zinfandel known to have K issues? Most of the varieties are on 101-14 rootstock.

I know my sandy soil is acidic and has been limed twice so the ph is a little low yet. I use composted hardwoods dirt, micchorizae, soft rock phosphate, and azomite. I'd rather understand the cause than to use a big hammer and apply chemical fertilizer unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

just a guess, could the ground where the Zin is planted been used for something else. Possible soil contamination may have caused a potassium deficiency. soil test for this particular spot should give you answers.

Latest posts

Back