Your best blueberry recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Earlier today, I picked up 24 pints of blueberries for $1.29/pint. Also picked up a 32oz bottle of Knudsen's pure blueberry juice. I'm guessing I'll get 3-4 gallons when it's all done. It'll probably start as close to 4. I tend toward big, dry reds and have read that a good blueberry wine with a little oak can rival some great red wines. So that interests me. I'm also not afraid of trying something else like a blueberry port, sweet fruit wine, etc. so I'm looking for recipes at this point. I will freeze them for a few days to a few weeks prior to starting.

Thanks for any and all input!

Jim

Jim, I cannot give you a recipe but last year one of my employees brought me a couple gallons of a blueberry-sugar syrup and probably 10 pounds of blueberries. He had been making blueberry preserves then got bored before finishing (typical) I just threw it into a bucket, added sugar to 1.09 and fermented it dry. It turned out excellent! If I had any idea of how good it would be, I would have added some oak and tannins and it would have been almost undistinguishable from a great merlot. I now have 70 pounds of blueberries and am having a rough time figuring out how I will convert them to wine but I will certainly enjoy doing it!

I used the one from winemaker mag only I doubled the fruit and went for 6 gallons.

Initial taste test is this will be awesome with a slight back sweeten, tasted just like fresh blueberries minus the sweet and the blueberry finish lasted for a good while afterwards.

Summertime Blueberry Wine

I used 15 lbs of blueberries for five gallons in my last batch. The flavor was a bit light, but overall the wine is good. I just started batch 2.0, but I think I picked a different variety than last time; this year the blueberries are bigger and more watery. Even though I'm using the same ratio of blueberries to water as last time I can't taste much blueberry in it. Moral of the story? I need to start picking extra blueberries.

Boatboy24 said:
Earlier today, I picked up 24 pints of blueberries for $1.29/pint. Also picked up a 32oz bottle of Knudsen's pure blueberry juice. I'm guessing I'll get 3-4 gallons when it's all done. It'll probably start as close to 4. I tend toward big, dry reds and have read that a good blueberry wine with a little oak can rival some great red wines. So that interests me. I'm also not afraid of trying something else like a blueberry port, sweet fruit wine, etc. so I'm looking for recipes at this point. I will freeze them for a few days to a few weeks prior to starting.

Thanks for any and all input!

Jim

My recipe for 75# of blueberries is here along with good feedback. I'm going to end up with 5 gal after racking from secondary as well as 1 gal of port..the n I used my seconds to make a batch of blueberry/grape,3 gal that I just racked to my secondary and at SG1.024 it's sweet but taste great

I use one pound per bottle or five pounds per gallon. Straight juice and never ever add water. I will blend with a less acidic grape like Cayuga.

Just put my first attempt at Blueberry in writing; Blueberry Melomel.
Berries are thawing.. Using 3lbs because that's all I got off my plants this year.

Back