yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please look in the tutorial section. There you will find yeast charts. Good Luck!

Hairdresser, Welcome to wine making. I make mostly fruit wines and in my opinion if I only had one yeast then Lalvin K1V-1116 would be the one I'd pick for fruit wines. That being said, I use different yeast for different fruits all the time. This is what I've found in my short time making wine. I've used Lalvin 71B-1122 for any fruit high in Malic acid (Blackberries Apples etc.), it helps reduce the malic acid. Lalvin K1V-1116 is the only one I use for Blueberry because blueberry is sometimes hard to start and I've never had a problem with this one starting any fruit wine. Red Star Cote des Blancs for Raspberry and Peach, I like what it does with the flavor. When using Cote des Blancs I add yeast nutrients as directed in the beginning and then add an additional teaspoon per 3 gallons at around 1.030 specific gravity. The last Red Star Montrachet is a catch all type yeast I sometimes use. To me it doesn't mess with the flavor of the fruit. I've used it with mixed berry fruit wines like a Blackberry Elderberry mix with good results. Hope this helps a little.

Here is the link to the Lalvin reference chart.

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

Some of the yeasts enhance variable character while others produce esters.

Whatever yeast you select at worst you will get a decent wine. Some are better in that some are low foamers, some can survive higher ABV etc.

For my red raspberry wine I usually use Lavlin EC-1118 or sometimes 71B1122
with no noticable difference in the taste of the wine. But for my last batch I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast and ended up with my wine having a peaty or smoky taste to it. It's drinkable but I prefer it without the peaty taste so I am sticking with using the Lavlin.
:b
Larry

Hairdresser, Welcome to wine making. I make mostly fruit wines and in my opinion if I only had one yeast then Lalvin K1V-1116 would be the one I'd pick for fruit wines. That being said, I use different yeast for different fruits all the time. This is what I've found in my short time making wine. I've used Lalvin 71B-1122 for any fruit high in Malic acid (Blackberries Apples etc.), it helps reduce the malic acid. Lalvin K1V-1116 is the only one I use for Blueberry because blueberry is sometimes hard to start and I've never had a problem with this one starting any fruit wine. Red Star Cote des Blancs for Raspberry and Peach, I like what it does with the flavor. When using Cote des Blancs I add yeast nutrients as directed in the beginning and then add an additional teaspoon per 3 gallons at around 1.030 specific gravity. The last Red Star Montrachet is a catch all type yeast I sometimes use. To me it doesn't mess with the flavor of the fruit. I've used it with mixed berry fruit wines like a Blackberry Elderberry mix with good results. Hope this helps a little.
This is a great post, I love people posting from personal experience

I am on my 4th batch of fruit wine. So far I have made peach, banana, apple, and I am working on strawberry. I used Montrachet yeast for all of them.

Latest posts

Back