Yeast,,,,,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirden1959

Reaction score
Hello All,

The last coupl e of years I have made about 2 gallons of pear wine from our tree. This year we had a bumper year,,,,, we froze, (decored and skinned) 70 pounds.

So I want to ferment a 5 gallon batch, I was wondering how much yeast should I used for a 5 gallon batch? This is the past recipe I have been using and had great success with.

I will be using 35 pounds of pears.
2009/2010 Pear Wines,,,,,,,,,,(was goooooooooooood smooth tasty,, sad to say all gone but 2 375 m bottles))

1 gallon of water
2 pounds of sugar (just regular table sugar)
pectic enzyne, yeast nutrient camdem tablet (spelling ?)
boiled half toe water placed in bucket mixed all chemicals firsts then added the pears in a nylon bag and added the room temp water (1/2 gallon).
24 hours later mixed in wine yeast, 1 full package ( I know now I need to add it in wared water mixed first) temp been between 60 to 75 going to add a heating pad tongiht to keep the temp more steady.

5 lbs of pears per gallon is very low. Id us more like dble that as there is very little flavor with pears and lots gets burned off during fermentation. 1 packet of yeast is fine for up to 6 gallons. Personally I would use Red Star Cotes Des Blanc or Red Star Champagne yeast and keep the starting sg down to around 1.080 meaning to add all the fruit, wait a day for the fruits sugars to release and then adjust up with sugar from there so as nit to over shoot that sg.

Hello All,

The last coupl e of years I have made about 2 gallons of pear wine from our tree. This year we had a bumper year,,,,, we froze, (decored and skinned) 70 pounds.

So I want to ferment a 5 gallon batch, I was wondering how much yeast should I used for a 5 gallon batch? This is the past recipe I have been using and had great success with.

I will be using 35 pounds of pears.
2009/2010 Pear Wines,,,,,,,,,,(was goooooooooooood smooth tasty,, sad to say all gone but 2 375 m bottles))

1 gallon of water
2 pounds of sugar (just regular table sugar)

pectic enzyne, yeast nutrient camdem tablet (spelling ?)
boiled half toe water placed in bucket mixed all chemicals firsts then added the pears in a nylon bag and added the room temp water (1/2 gallon).
24 hours later mixed in wine yeast, 1 full package ( I know now I need to add it in wared water mixed first) temp been between 60 to 75 going to add a heating pad tongiht to keep the temp more steady.

OK where to start'
1st you will need 2 buckets
1 gallon of water will not work. I would start with 5 gallons of water split in 2 buckets and 2 straining bags.
Like wade said sugar only to 1.080-1.085. Do not add sugar blindly
You may want to add some tannin since you pealed the fruit

Sorry everyone,,, the one gallon of water was the "original: pear recipe for basically on gallon of wine, I used 5 gallons with 35 poinds of pears,,,,

only think I have changed was the sugar,,, I added sugar till I reach 1.08...

And that is the yeast I will be using,,,

Thank you all for you advice... You can tell it's fall, I m back trying new fruit wines..........

The wines I have tasted have been almost 100% pear with very little water. They were fantastic. It would be very light on flavor with so little pear, I would think. I have my frozen pears waiting for me at a later time.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back