Yeast under microscope

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
What magnification is needed to see yeast activity.
I am looking at a new toy a celestron 44340

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546149-REG/Celestron_44340_44340_LCD_Digital_Microscope.html

i know nothing about microscopes
smiley19.gif

sounds like something interesting to do...i dont know much about em either, but would be interested in finding out what you learn

Looks cool.
They mention looking at yeast in the product tour so its sounds like it would be powerful enough.

Actually, i'm willing to spend 300 dollars for a digital microscope-- i really would like one to hook up to a laptop rather than pay for the little 3 inch screen on the scope.
I also want to use it to try and interest my grandson in something with some potential.

My total lack of knowledge has led me to this particular item but i would rather have a very powerfull scop to use with a laptop.
My grandson and i could view micro organisims in water or on other things.

I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has experience or just some ideas. :) :)

Al Fulchino said:
sounds like something interesting to do...i dont know much about em either, but would be interested in finding out what you learn

Al it seems that one can take pictures with these microscopes. maybre i could get some pics of well fed and of stressed yeast.

Waldo said:
sOUNDS PRETTY COOL BUDDY

I will have to read and listen to many suggestions before i do this.
It was a lot easier buying stainless boiling pots lol

BTW Waldo--any snow by you??

Scotty, 100x will let you see the cells quite well. At 400x, with proper staining you will be able to see the interior structures of the cells.

ibglowin said:
Wow.

Thats a lot of moola!

Compare with no cigarettes-- no beer--no whiskey--no drugs and i almost never drink wine either.

No car payments--no anything payments--no mortgage--no rent((lot rent 215.00 a month)

smiley1.gif
400.00 is a drop in that bucket my friend
smiley1.gif

Al Fulchino said:

So would I Al.
smiley36.gif

Scotty,

I stumbled onto an equipment auction at the local university. To my surprise, they had a microscope. Not one with a camera attachment, but it got me thinking that this may be an opportunity for you. Check with the local university and see if they have excess equipment auctions.

Just a thought.

And a good one too--
The cameras asre really not part of the microscopes at the level i wish to buy.

Scotty, 100x is plenty for protozoans. You can actually watch them swim around and eat at this level.

PeterZ said:
Scotty, 100x is plenty for protozoans. You can actually watch them swim around and eat at this level.

Pete my next question is how to stain a specimen like yeast.

I will be researching as best i can but your input will be a guide i'm sure

we used to use a blue dye in University, but I can't recall the name of it. It was just a brilliant blue dye.

If you put a few drops in someone's can of cola, they would drink it, and then pee blue for 2 days! It was really intense.

Dean said:
we used to use a blue dye in University, but I can't recall the name of it. It was just a brilliant blue dye.

If you put a few drops in someone's can of cola, they would drink it, and then pee blue for 2 days! It was really intense.

That sounds like more fun than studying yeast

Back