Yeast S02?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are giving relative amounts of H2S production given two different amounts of nitrogen available to the yeast.

It illustrates the importance of adequate nutrition for the yeast in minimizing H2S produced by the yeast.

Low nutrition is one of several things can 'stress' yeast and cause high H2S production levels. Temp, excessive sugar levels and high SO2 levels are other things that can stress yeast when they are beyond the yeast's tolerance levels.

How can you tell when the wine is producing H2S, are there any particular color changes, smells, tastes, etc? I always use goferm and fermaid with non kit wines, so I think I usually have proper nitrogen during my fermentations. Thanks for any help.

Yep, the rotten egg smell is gnarly!
I recently opened up a bottle of wine given to us by another wine maker, the smell was so intense we couldn't drink it.
I'm surprised that this person didn't check the wine, I don't believe that this could have gone un-noticed if he would have checked and tasted his wine routinely.
Now how do I reply when he asks.."how was the wine".....

Rotten eggs and sewer gas are early smells. A low level of H2S just gives it a "funk." as it progresses you can get a propane smell and even burnt rubber from what I've heard. I've been cursed with it too much. Feed your yeast, constantly smell your wine, take it off the gross lees within a week and you've minimized your risk. Not to mention choosing the appropriate yeast for the wine.

And don't get H2S (hydrogen sulfide) confused with SO2 (sulfites). They are very different even though it's one letter apart!

Latest posts

Back