yeast nutrient substitute

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlilly5000

Reaction score
Ran out of nutrient, add gerber whole wheat baby cereal with vitablocks the yeast took off like crazy, also herd you can use some kinds of energy drinks, have not tried that yet. also going to aspirin to help with the yeast with the pain I a putting hem through. lol

if i am out of nutrient/energizer i use this alternative.

1/2 cup grape nuts, 1/2 cup water, nuke for 30 seconds stir, cool add.

I've just started making wine and I'm trying nutritional yeast as a replacement for yeast nutrient. It's just freeze-dried saccharomyces cerevisiae. I can't find anything on people using nutritional yeast in place of yeast hulls and I was wondering if anyone could think of a reason people don't use it other than the flavor because it's grown on molasses.

"nutritional yeast" is primarily proteins and vitamins, and is good for you to eat.

"yeast nutrient" is primarily nitrogen and good for yeast to eat.

I know there's a difference between yeast hulls/vitamin concentrates/diammonium phosphate and nutritional yeast. I'm just wondering if my wine yeast isn't going to benefit from dead saccharomyces cerevisiae because I was told they are cannibalistic and B vitamins are good for them.

Well, normally you rack off the lees as soon as you can to avoid the decomposition of yeast which leads to Sulfur problems.

Latest posts

Back