Yeast Nutrient Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
I started a batch of Hard Rockin' Cider eight days ago with an initial gravity of 1.128 (yes, I am aiming for 17-18% alcohol). Used EC-1118 yeast started with Go-Ferm - ambient temperature is 71 degrees. I am not sure of the must temperature as I loaned my thermometer to my son.

I incorrectly added the entire Fermaid K addition at the beginning of fermentation, but things started off pretty well. I have been seeing a reduction in gravity of about .010 per day, but the fermentation seems less robust than I have become accustomed to.

This morning my SG reading was only slightly lower than yesterday (1.070) and I am starting to get a little concerned. I gave it a good stir, but I am wondering if I need to add an additional dose of Fermaid K? I believe you are not supposed to add nutrients after 50% sugar reduction and I am getting close to that point.

I made this recipe before and the only thing that is different from the past is that I used Go-Ferm and Fermaid K rather than no yeast rehydration additive and DAP. Same initial gravity, same yeast, same brand of cider. The previous batch fermented pretty aggressively and was racked to secondary in five days.

Any suggestions? I know patience is probably all that is required, but that is not one of my strengths....

Not an expert, but I'd add nutrient right away. Esp if your temps of other ferments are similar to this one, then missing nutrient is the main problem to correct to keep stuff fermenting.

I waited before responding hoping an expert would respond, but no one did, and like you said, time is at a premium as that sugar slowly drops off.

Pam in cinti

Back