Yeast for Black Currant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaWino

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

I am starting a 6 Gallon batch of wine with two cans of Vintners Harvest Black Currant concentrate. My only question is which yeast should I use and why?

I currently have:
Lalvin Products
K1-V1116
RC 212
EC-1118
71B-1122
D47

Thanks in Advance!

What style of currant wine do you want to end up with is another part of your question, like high alcohol, very sweet, dry? Drop 10 pounds of strawberries in there to boost the nose. WVMJ

Im just going with the recipe per the can. I have already started the wine and its supposed to sit for 24 hours to drive off the sulfites. I have a SG at 1.85. I will pitch the yeast tomorrow. I just need to know which one?????

Im just going with the recipe per the can. I have already started the wine and its supposed to sit for 24 hours to drive off the sulfites. I have a SG at 1.85. I will pitch the yeast tomorrow. I just need to know which one?????

I think you mean 1.085 but no harm done. I have the same wine I am going to begin soon.

I started a batch of the same on 8/3 and used Red Star Pasteur Red. It stopped fermenting at .102.6 and was very, very sweet for my taste. I"m still trying to fix it. I have the fermentation going again, but we will see what happens.

With what you have on-hand, in mind..

RC212 if you want a "Red"-styled wine

1116 or 71B if you wanna go the "Red Fruit"-style

D-47 if you want more mouthfeel than aromatics

Wouldnt go with 1118, its my "last resort" yeast..
It's a "bull in a china shop" when compared to other yeasts

Latest posts

Back