Yeast finish after primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After My 7 day primary fermentation I took a Hydrometer reading that said -1 / 0.990 Before 7 day fermentation first reading was 12.5 / 1.100 Instructions say for secondary fermentation gravity range should be between 0.990 - 0.998 then the wine is ready for the next step. But as you can see gravity was at 0.990 after first fermentation. Should I stabilize it and just move on? Or wait the 4 weeks.

Welcome to WMT!

As you seem to realize, forget about times, and focus on SG.

I am confused by your numbers. Your report an initial reading of
12.5 / 1.100
and a final reading of
-1 / 0.990.

Based on your final numbers, I am assuming the numbers you report are Brix/SG. But if that is true, I cannot figure out what your initial figures mean. 1.100 SG would correspond to something like 24 Brix, so color me confused!

Anyway, assuming your final numbers mean what I think they mean, you can move on to your next step, which I would imagine would be transferring to a carboy and adding sulfite.

Think I jacked the readings up. The 1.100 is what I got before adding yeast. I added yeast and 7 days later it read 0.990. Does this make better sense? signed - wine newbie. P.S. I believe the 12.5 was the probable alcohol content.

Think I jacked the readings up. The 1.100 is what I got before adding yeast. I added yeast and 7 days later it read 0.990. Does this make better sense? signed - wine newbie. P.S. I believe the 12.5 was the probable alcohol content.

Ahh, yes, I see. I forgot about the third scale ("potential alcohol") of the triple-scale hydrometer. Yes, all of your observations make sense.

Personally, I would move it to a carboy, add sulfite, and let it nap for some months.

Thank you for the advice. Looked at your bucket list. You are definitely one of the goto people. :) Next I'm attempting a Blueberry Port and a Dry Riesling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back