Yeast Blending on Juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Ok waiting on my buckets of juice and have been thinking ( yes I know thats a bad thing lol ) I have 3 Chardonnay coming and all with be placed in a 100Lt tank and thinking of Starting yeast will be standard D47 but a few days into it Im thinking of adding BA11 to help bing out other flavors. Anyone on here ever blend these 2 yeast?
Thinking about the same yeast in my Viognier but BA11 first then the D47.

Pros/Cons

Usually one Yeast will dominate, if you blend. Split up juice and use different yeast then blend.

Not enough room with other juices Im getting.
3 Chardonnay
3 Pinot Grigio
4Sauvignon Blanc
3 Viognier
3 Zinfandel
3 Barbera
5 Merlot
4 Pinot Noir
This is a joint wine making with a few other friends thats why so many.

I would read up on the specifications of each yeast to determine if they will co-ferment. Not all stains of yeast will.

I personally haven't heard of starting with one yeast, then finishing with another... interesting, though. I would think that once D47 has been going several days, it will be very difficult for another strain to come along and even get started. By that time you will have about a 500,000 to one ratio.

If they will co-ferment and that is what you want, consider starting them at the same time.

Robie good idea, from what I have been reading they should co-ferment. But reading and real life are always 2 different things..

Latest posts

Back