WineXpert World Vineyard Shiraz/Mourvedre

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy_5

Junior
Reaction score
I've lurked here for quite a while and finally decided I needed to ask a question. I've already asked in another forum to no avail, so I'll ask here:

I got a good deal on the WE World Vineyard Australian Shiraz/Mourvedre kit the other day and was looking for reviews but couldn't find any. Also knowing that most middle or lower kits like this one will lack body and mouth feel down the road, I wanted to use raisins or Zante currants during the ferment. So I mixed everything up tonight including 20 oz of Zante currants and took my initial SG reading. I was surprised to see it only measured 1.055. This is my first time adjusting a kit with raisins or currants, so is that messing with the SG or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks,
Andy

Here's the response I just finished typing in at Winepress..

It seems that a number of people have reported low sg readings when starting Winexpert kits over the last few months. One thought is that the winemaker didn't mix the wine up thoroughly and took a reading from the top part of the primary.

It's difficult for me to know what happens to cause such a low reading, but I have a theory. The kit should be stirred vigourously after all the water is added but before the yeast is pitched. This ensures that the bentonite is mixed well, that the must is mixed well, and that oxygen is incorporated into the must. If you are using a small primary, then it is difficult to stir vigourously (you'll splash over the edge) if you create a vortex. Thus the must might not be mixed thoroughly, and if the sg reading is taken from the very top portion, perhaps it will be low.

Personally, I haven't had problems with low sg readings. But I use large primaries (nominal 12 US gal size), and stir vigourously before taking the sg reading, and pitching the yeast. And occasionally splash the must around. Some folks use their Fizz-X (drill stirrrer) to mix thoroughly.

galaxy5...I don't know if my theory applies to you, but please consider it as a possibility.

Steve

Latest posts

Back