WineXpert winexpert eclipse pinot noir feedback

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Went in to one of my LHBS today and picked up a WE Brunello.
They also had a winexpert eclipse pinot noir for $169,
But I could only get one.
I have had the Brunello and love it, but we drink a lot of Pinot noir in my house. My tweeked selection Pinot noir (heavily oaked) is going quick.

Does anyone have any feed back on winexpert eclipse pinot noir

Is it worth the extra few bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Hey. I made the eclipse Pinot noir and actually tweaked it. As if now it's been aging for 3 months. I added a pound of blackberries during secondary and rouge soft. So far it taste pretty good. It has great potential. I am a Pinot lover so this is going to be exciting when I decide to bottle. I'm going to leave it bulk aging for a year at least. I have the Oregon LE Pinot clearing now.

I started mine 2 weeks ago, added FT Rouge Soft and am following the 180 day kit instructions. If you get the Pino Noir, let me know and I will send you the rest of the FT Rouge Soft tannins, it will just fade away with time until I throw it out.

I started mine 2 weeks ago, added FT Rouge Soft and am following the 180 day kit instructions. If you get the Pino Noir, let me know and I will send you the rest of the FT Rouge Soft tannins, it will just fade away with time until I throw it out.

I have never used rouge soft tannins and to be honest I haven't a clue what they bring to the wine.

I usually bulk age and add atleast 3 oz of Hungarian Med toasted oak.

I also haven't a clue what 180 day instructions are, but will look them up.

Maybe I will have to give this kit a try, has to be Better than the 16 L WE kit I am loving right now.

I bottled mine on June 13th and it was 7 months old. I'm not a winexpert expert and I like all my wines. My first impressions are good nose with dark fruit aromas. Taste is soft fruity with a nice finish. I find the top line kits just have a depth of body/richness that is a notch above other kits. I also added 3g of Tancor Grand Cru 7 weeks before bottling. I'm sure this will age nicely. Is it worth $169? Not to me but then I never pay full price for a kit. Just bought the Winexpert's Selection Italian Brunello Style with Grape Skins for $114 down from 142.

Red - Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir (WE Eclipse, June 13, 2014) Started Nov 8/13
Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir

A rich, silky wine that blends notes of truffle, toast and herbs with black cherry and raspberry flavours and a hint of black spice. Earthy, well-balanced, and very food-friendly.
Sweetness: Dry | Body: Medium | Oak Intensity: Medium

Last edited:
Pino Noir has "soft" tannins, meaning the tannins are much less astringic than the tannins in cab or zin or merlot. Thats one of the best parts of Pino Noir. The company FT makes tannins for all types of wines, and the rouge soft is specific to Pino Noir.

I use light toast Hungarian oak, family thing... The tannins from the oak are practically nil because of the short time in contact with the wine, thats why the 180 day instructions have you add extra.

A quick google search will give you the 180 day instructions, its all I use for reds anymore. The wines come out much heavier-bodied and mostly gas free.

Pino Noir has "soft" tannins, meaning the tannins are much less astringic than the tannins in cab or zin or merlot. Thats one of the best parts of Pino Noir. The company FT makes tannins for all types of wines, and the rouge soft is specific to Pino Noir.

I use light toast Hungarian oak, family thing... The tannins from the oak are practically nil because of the short time in contact with the wine, thats why the 180 day instructions have you add extra.

A quick google search will give you the 180 day instructions, its all I use for reds anymore. The wines come out much heavier-bodied and mostly gas free.

I checked out the 180 day instructions.
I usually follow kit instructions until I get to 4 or 5 (bottling).
Once my wine has cleared and I have racked, I add 3 oz of med toast Hungarian oak cubes and let sit for 3 months.
Then I rack and taste and if it requires more I add more oak and let sit for another few months.

Back