Wines that ferment at higher temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you John T.
It gives me a direction which usually gives me further direction.
Corinth

Pinot noir is often fermented cool to try to capture those subtle aromatics similar to those in a white aromatic white .
More of an old world style .
Others ferment Pinot with a heat spike to really pull the essence out of the thin grape skins
This applies to Sangiovese too.

But it's most common for reds to be fermented warmer . When in doubt it's the default practice

Last edited:
wines that ferment at highr temperatures

I apologize but I have read a bit about " heat spikes?" Before I go drive myself crazy and look up stuff on this site and others, could you help by giving me a quick (?) rundown on how this works. I know several of you have mentioned this.
thanks

Corinth

The heat spike is timed so it coincides with the peak of fermentation .
Fermentations are exothermic so produce some heat on their own .
They produce the most heat when the yeast is most active .

To get it to spike up around 85-90 and get the timing right my practice (it Verys a little) what I do is apply the extra heat ( you can use a brew belt , coils , plates or improvise) when I add the first nutrient addition ( just after lag) and leave it on past the second nutrient addition at 1/3 of the way into ferment and turn off the extra heat just before the 50 percent dry mark or when it hits 86-90 'f
Then apply no extra heat , just let ambient and the musts own exothermic heat take it through until dry.

I use a probe thermometer stuck into the top of the cap to check the temperature before every punch down to monitor progress and ensure I don't go to much over 90 .

Last edited:
Here is a graph that is much like the ones that I make up for each of my vintages. If you look at the purple line, you can see an example of the "Spike". Fermentation is much like a bell curve where you almost always have a "top of the curve" where fermentation is at it's max. Just like manvsvine said, heat is produced during fermentation. The higher the rate of fermentation, the more heat is produced.

Latest posts

Back