Wine whip for adding oxygen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I know that O2 is good for a fermenting wine. Anyone ever use one of these on a white while it is fermenting. You can get a good whirlpool going I assume introducing lots of O2....

ThxImageUploadedByWine Making1447454902.201795.jpg

I use a whip for the initial mixing of the juice and water, but not during fermentation. On reds with grape skin packs I use a spoon and stir gently, not for oxygen but for ensuring the skins are well exposed to the yeast and juice, and to stir up any yeast for another go at the sugars. I've never had a problem with low oxygen once I whip at the initial mixing.

Actually that is not a wine whip but rather a Mix-stir. A mix-stir is just a nice tool to stir in fining agents or chemicals. The wine whip is a long plastic device with a single curved end like the letter J. It is used to literally whip air into kit wines in order to help release CO2 and aid in clearing faster.

I've only used that tool for mixing in chemicals and initial degassing (I finish degassing with a hand vacuum pump). I've done many low end kit wines where I stir some, pitch my yeast and lock down for the entire fermentation process with no ill effects due to not having sufficient O2.

Latest posts

Back