Other Wine suggestions for a wedding

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyJohn

Reaction score
My niece is getting married in March, 2015, and I offered to make a couple batches of wine for the dinner. They haven't set on a menu yet, and it will probably be a while before they do, so I need a couple everything wines - one white and one red. It will be a smallish wedding, so 60 bottles will be plenty.

For the white, I'm going to try to order Wine Expert LE Pacific Quartet. If I can't get one, what other whites would be good?

For a red, she would prefer something not-too-big. I had her try the wines I had made so far, and she liked the RJS Grand Cru Cab better than my Eclipse Barolo. They are considering something like smoked brisket, so maybe something like a zin would be better. I have a batch of Eclipse Zin that I bottled 3 weeks ago, but couldn't get myself to pop the cork knowing it wasn't ready.

So, any suggestions for high-end kits would be appreciated!

If you don't know the menu, what about a lighter red (pinot noir) or maybe a Merlot?

I offered to do the same for my wife's best friends wedding which will take place in 2015.
They want to give .175 bottles to people in a gift bag.
I was actually going to let them make it, and do all the work, using my equipment.

I think a Pinot or merlot is usually middle of the road and can please almost everyone.
However with them deciding to have the wedding in the fingerlakes region, they may be up to thier ears in wine!

Merlot and white zin....pretty much can be served with anything and
it will be pleasant to most peoples pallate...
Most are not as picky as we all are....lol

If she is getting married at a venue, check if you can serve home made wine. At my wedding we had to give it away as gifts because we could not serve it.

My suggestion for a backup white would be the WE Selection Luna Bianca, which I think would be close to he Pacific Quartet. For a red, I would suggest a blend rather than a varietal, and specifically the RJS Cru Select BC Meritage. If your niece liked the RJS Cab, she'll love this bordeaux blend.

If she is getting married at a venue, check if you can serve home made wine. At my wedding we had to give it away as gifts because we could not serve it.

I too would check with the venue first before deciding. A lot of places will say it's a liability issue. If you can bring your own, I made a Reisling and a Merlot as favors for my daughters wedding. Bakervinyard

Update!

I decided on the WE Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot, and the WE LE Pacific Quartet. I started both kits just after New Years, and bottled them about a month ago. Both were made without tweaks, except I added about 1.5 ounces of extra oak cubes to the Merlot for bulk aging.

Both came out EXCELLENT! The merlot is really going to be fantastic when it smoothes out a bit in the bottle. The Pacific Quartet is a bit too sweet for my taste, but I think it will be perfect for my niece and her friends.

I'm making another batch of the Pacific Quartet for myself, but will only add half of the F-pack to get rid of some of the sweetness.

I think the white will be gone at the wedding, so I may have to bring along a case of my 2nd batch to the wedding as a reserve.

I'd say either Merlot or Pino Noir. If it's bbq I'd go with the merlot with serious oaking. No doubt I would do at least one large format bottle, say a double magnum. Make a statement.

Back