Wine Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

Reaction score
Wine Storage
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />I have run out of rack space formy wine.

If I keepthe winein the box in a closet should I turn the bottles Upside Down so the cork stays wet?

Any suggestions?

What kind of corks are you using? If you have synthetic corks you can actually store the bottles upright - it's just the natural corks that can dry out.

If you are not using synthetic you can store the bottles upside down. Synthetic it does not matter.
VC

Thats what I do. Bottles upside down. I have 80+ cases that way. Not counting my 5 wine racks which hold 600+

20090916_100541_IMG_1701_Small.JPG

Racks are low here

20090916_101109_IMG_1735_Small.JPG

LOL !

and there is much more not showen in those pictures. I have 23 6-gallon carboys either aging or fermenting. And the Italian Juice is coming in next month and lots of frozen fruit waiting its turn.

Yep! Sure are..
You can NEVER have enough

I've been storing my boxed wines on their sides - now I'm wondering if that isnot going to keep them wet enough?

Hey Tepe,

Tell us more about the "italian juice" and more importantly, How we get some.

Wayne said:
I've been storing my boxed wines on their sides - now I'm wondering if that isnot going to keep them wet enough?

If the bottles are filled to the right level (just inside the neck of the bottle), then you will be just fine storing them on their side. If you happen to have a clear or light green bottle, you'll be able to see where the air bubble will sit and if the bottle is on its side, that bubble will be up in the shoulder of the bottle. If it were a requirement for the bottles to be upside down, you'd see pictures of French wine cellars or Eurocave wine cellar units having bins to stack bottles instead of all these bottle butts sticking out of the racks. Also, bottles stored unjostled on their sides will drop sediment on the side of the bottle that gravity favors (the 'bottom' side). Sediment on the side of the bottle will often be caught in the neck of the bottle as the wine is poured out, depending of course on the speed at which the wine is poured - slower is better for this. If you store them upside down, you may end up mixing sediment as the bottle is uprighted and the cork pulled out.

Moral of the story: side at a minimum - further at your own risk.

- Jim

Wow Tepe and I will only be starting my 5th kit soon and admit I am enjoying the experience sincemy first start2 1/2 months ago. My new hobby is becoming addictive
smiley36.gif
I am waiting on anorderedMM GrandBarolo from George and then considering a CCRosso Fortissimo next which I asked for taste opinions under the Cellar Craft topic section.

I too started small but, it took well over 10 years to get to what I do and have now. Of course SWMBO, Daughter and myself drink alot.
To bad you are so far away my wine club meeting (Cherry Hill) is this Sunday. There youcould havemet other OBSESSED people.

I always use the straight agglomerate #9x1.75 cork, and I always lay the box on its side. Now I wonder if thats ok, or should I just put them in the box upside down rather than on their side. I think all that matters is the cork stays wet just like a wine rack.

Jerry,

Refer to my post five up from this one. You'll be fine.

- Jim

jerry said:
I always use the straight agglomerate #9x1.75 cork, and I always lay the box on its side. Now I wonder if thats ok, or should I just put them in the box upside down rather than on their side. I think all that matters is the cork stays wet just like a wine rack.
Thats the corks I ues. Reason I turn them upside down is I can stack them better and higher. Of course I am talking case storage not storing on a rack.

Yes, turn the bottles upside down</span> thus will do sediment on cort and no on bottom of bottle

Latest posts

Back