wine smell and tasts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine maker1

Junior
Reaction score
smiley19.gif
We bottled our first batch of San Giovese and Alicante blend on May 2. We sterilized the bottles and corks with a k-meta solution. When we bottled it, we were so impressed with the taste. It was actually very good. So good we drank a gallon during corking. Now, a month later, we opened our first bottle and it smelled like k-meta and it has an astringent taste. We were worried so we opened a second bottle, a slight taste of K-meta and a slight odor of the same. What did we do wrong? Will the taste and smell go away? What do we do now? This is real upsetting. It was so good before. Help!
smiley19.gif

Assuming you drained the bottles after using K-Meta, it shouldn't be that too much was left in them. Was this a kit or juice you bought? My first guess would be it is just bottle shock and will dissipate and improve in a few months. Most wines need about 4 to six months , some more some less to improve from the bottling process. Time usually will cure most ills. If it was good before, it should be even better in a few months.

I liked my sangeovese at the time i set it to bulk in 2-3 gallon carboys. I never touched them for 6 months and they were a lot nicer at that time. When i bottle, i rinse with sulfite solution and set them on the bottle rack to drain for a few minutes(no rinsing)and then proceed to bottle. Is it possible that you did not let them drain properly?? ((repeating applemans thought))
I will not touch the bottled sangeovese untill thanksgiving.
The goofey wine experiments will have to do till then
smiley34.gif

Latest posts

Back