Wine Rack Closet Verses Refrig.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Here is apicture of my closet in which I would like to make it into my winerack closet.We've talked some on this subject before here on this forum.This closet has two doors and I'm thinking it could really look neat if done right.
Now after reading this forum I see a lot of people using the old refrigerators to keep the wine at the right humidity and temperature.

So, my question is this: Would it be wiser of me to invest in a refrigerator just for my wine to keep it at the right temperature instead of the wine closet? Or would just using the wine closet work out OK too?If the closet isn't the right thing to do, then I don't want to spend the extra money and time fixing it up, when I should have looked for a refrigerator.

How many bottles of wine would I have in the closet, as many as I can. I'm hoping for a 120 plus. If I would purchase a wine rack, then I would purchase one for 120 bottle or in that neighborhood.

Let me know what your thought are on this please.
20061228_134851_wine_closet_Sma.jpg
.Edited by: jsmahoney

The main thing I can see with the closet is controlling temperature if it is located in a place where the temp is not constant. It is important that the temperature of your wine is where it is stored is fairly stable without lots of fluctuations up and down. Also the warmer the environment the quicker it ages but not always for the better.

There are a few things to consider on this.

1) Getting a fridge that is big enough to store what you want.

2) Getting a Big Wine cooler instead with dual zones to keep whites and reds seperate at different temps.

3) Insulating that closet if your going to have to keep it cooler so as not to kill yourself with an electric bill.

4) If your getting a fridge you might also need the controllable
thermostat. Most fridges even at lowest temps are to cold to properly
store wine. I have a really old one that when its turned all the way
down stays at 54* which is a pretty good temp for aging wine I believe.
It is a relic and might be killing me on electric but seeing as how its
all the way down might not be bad. What temp does your closet stay at
now and is it consistant?

That's what I was afraid of. Right now, with the heat/air-condition vent closed it is staying in the 60-62 degrees. I doubt if I could build the closet to keep it's temperature in the 50 degree range and I'm sure I can't afford that Big Wine Cooler with dual zones. Guess I'll keep shopping! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back