Wine procedure when adding PH,TA, CO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
Question, when adding the ingredients to adjust the PH, TA or CO2. Does one have to rack into another carboy or can you just dump the ingredients into the carboy top hole. and forget about it.

For me, it depends. I usually do my additions at racking time. I add whatever to the new carboy and rack into it. This mixes things up pretty good.

If there is no reason to rack -no sediment- I draw out about a liter of the wine, mix the whatever to what I drew out and pour back in leaving enough space to stir. Then I gently but thoroughly stir and finish topping up.

Adjust PH,TA at the primary. This is far better than waiting until after fermentation. You really can't adjust CO2 as this is a byproduct of the yeast. If you age and clear your wines in the secondary for along enough period, the CO2 comes out on its own so you don't have to manipulate the wine to remove it.

Turock said:
Adjust PH,TA at the primary. This is far better than waiting until after fermentation.
I make wine once a year. I will this time around, before I didn't have the instrument to do so.

Back