Wine in Keg after year still bubbling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futureofwine

Junior
Reaction score
So I have 15 gallons of high quality Zinfandel is a keg, that has been locked down with a clamp, but it topped once a month. Picked it up from friend, and when i open 'd it a lot of gas came up and the wine bubbled over a little. Why is this? I would assume after a year it's gone through primary and secondary fermentation? Could it just have gotten a little warm? It tastes fine, besides it's slighty bubbly. Also probally a bung is way safer on keg vs clamping it down?

Thanks.

Sounds like they made a 15 gallon bottle of sparkling wine. Now, I'm no sparkling wine expert. I've had several occur by accident, but I do understand the process. The wine was not done fermenting when it was clamped down in that keg. Since then, it as created CO2 under pressure, just like a bottle of champaign. Once opened, the CO2 will bubble off naturally. It can either be degassed manually, or left under bung and airlock to do so on it's own over time.

Sheez! I wish I had a friend to give be 15 gallons of Zin! Lucky you!

Latest posts

Back