wine grapes in greece and complete newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safronsue

Junior
Reaction score
I'm in Greece and have some vines with wine grapes and want to get started with wine this weekend. My father-in-law usually is in charge of this but he has been turning these grapes into undrinkable stuff every year so, (whilst trying not to hurt his feelings as he does actually drinki it) I'm going to have a go. BUT, i am pushed for time and money so don't want to spend a lot of on expensive equipment. I have been reading on the internet and downloaded books but I would like to ask questions about what i plan to do for the primary as I can't find the answers atm and I want to prepare so i have all necessary for the weekend.

How strict is this food-grade ruling on the plastic container? Would a new large builders bucket do? (I know to sterilise it) Could I use this container to both trample the grapes and then add additives and cover with muslin? I can't seem to find food grade buckets with lids here anywhere and the huge old plastic barrel my in -laws use is 1. too big and 2. difficult to cover completely (I think a main reason for his wine turning vinegary)

How should i prepare the grapes from the vine? Remove insects and debris ok but should i wash them?

thanks in advance ....and :b

For years i used a rubbermaid 18 gallon tote for my primary - just recently i switched to food grade buckets - i think the issue is the when the alcohol is formed non food grade items might leech into the must/wine.

Do you have a local bakery or supermarket that has a bakery?

I get all mine for free - just ask them for 5 gallon buckets w/lids.

When i picked my grapes - i rinsed the grapes off, crushed, added in k-meta, waited 12 hours added in pectic waited another 12 hours and pressed the juice off the skins (making a white wine) then pitched the yeast, yeast nutrient.

Back