Wine gifts & Christmas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-Mike

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a new member working through questions on my first kit, you have all been really helpful. As a wine lover, I am motivated to make my own for 2 reasons. First, since my wife and I drink a lot of wine, it would be great to reduce the cost. Secondly, it just seems like a fun hobby to get involved in. I'm having fun already and haven't even bottled anything yet!

My 3 business partners just gave me their Christmas gifts and they were all wine! I know this is probably sacrilegious on this forum, but I do love purchased wines from great vineyards. My 3 gifts wines are:

#1 2003 Stags Leap Merlot
#2 2000 Gary Farrell Cab
#3 2000 Geyser Peak-Winemakers Selection - Cab Franc

Wow, am I going to have some tasty stuff over the holidays.

Best wishes to all & Merry Christmas

welcome to the forum Mike! I've never had the Gary Farrell... let us know how it is when you drink that one.

I still buy wine. Even though I have 100+ bottles in the racks, I need the variety!

I still like going to wineries and finding good wine. I don't care who made it as long it is good.

Going to wineries is how I got started in this. We sampled a Black
Currant wine and loved it and couldnt get it anywhere but there and it
was $14.50 for a 375 size bottle. I started looking into to wine making
from there and started 2 of the Island Mist kits thinking those would
be the closest and they were good until I spotted the Vintners Harvest
products. Black Currant is one of them and it came out better than the
Wineries bottle. Now there is almost always a batch of this bubbling or
aging in my basement. We still like to go to the wine tastings though,
its just a nice way to spend a Summer's or Fall's day going all over
the state and experiencing different wines especially during prime
foliage.

I think of purchased wines as "good research" for our hobby.
smiley20.gif

You have to have something while you're waiting for yours to age properly. I have around 100 bottles sitting and nothing to drink.

Was given a bottle of Hungarian wine in November (While I was in Poland). Absolutely gorgeous!. There aren't too many of us here who would turn their noses up at a good commercial wine.

Welcome to the forum Mike!

Myself and my wife love german wines. Schlink Haus makes very nice wines. My wifes fav is riesling (it is fairly sweet) and my fav is both kabinett and spalese (much dryer). These are the first whites I've been able to get my wife to drink as she usually favors off dry reds from eastern europe. The plus to these german whites is they come in a nice cobalt blue bottle.
Pete

Latest posts

Back