Wine from Ghana, West Africa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YourCaptain

Reaction score
One of the things I love about traveling is trying the local beverages.

Right now I'm spending 3 weeks in Ghana, and must say it's very interesting.

A very local drink is home made palm wine. I've asked a local to take me to the elder in the next village to show me how they make it. So far I know it's from the sap of a dead palmtree.

I've also just come back from a 'grocery store' and saw a 750ml plastic bottle filled with ' honey, garlic and mahoganny wine'... Needless to say it's busy chilling and will be drunk with supper.

I've also just come back from a 'grocery store' and saw a 750ml plastic bottle filled with ' honey, garlic and mahoganny wine'... Needless to say it's busy chilling and will be drunk with supper.

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it tastes.

You must understand, these guys have no instruments, or equipment... So alchohol percentage is unknown.

The garlic mead... Well let's just say I won't make that anytime soon. As you lift the glass, you get a strong garlic smell. The taste is almost a it's smokey honey with a garlic aftertaste. There were visable particles in the wine.

The palm wine is cloudy with sediment at the bottom. I can't describe the taste. Sweet, leafy, almost the taste of the smell of tree gum. It's refreshing. Not sure if it's an everyday drink for me, but definately once in a while.

Locals distil it along with marijuana and it puts people in a death-like coma for a few days. *shockface*

Will try find a few more local drinks and will give comment next time I have signal.

You may find some t'ej while you are out and about!

Latest posts

Back