WineXpert Wine Fermenting Temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorrich

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

New wine maker here. Have made one batch of the mezza Luna red which turned out excellent.

I'm now working on the international french cab sauv, and an original sauv blanc.

My question is about temperatures. When I made the mezza it was winter and I could easily control the temp range of the basement. Now it is summer, and my basement fluctuates depending on outside temp. I'd say it goes anywhere from 23 Celsius to 26 Celsius. The kits say to maintain the range in the 22-24 range, but in the summer I really can't do that since I have no place that cool.

How important is that optimal range? I understand that is the best temp, but will my $200 wine investment be wasted with my current basement temp? I have a fridge I can age the wine in once it is done, but it isn't large enough to make the wine in.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

You'll be fine. You're not far out of that range anyway :sm. It might go quicker than the instructions say. Let your hydrometer be you guide :try

I think what prompted me to be concerned was the mini heat wave we got going... Temp in basement has been 26 for a couple days without dropping back down within the range.

Quick fluctuations are more troublesome but basements are always the last to change. I wouldn't worry untilled the basement gets into the 30's

Latest posts

Back