WineXpert Wine Expert Barolo (thread)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs26ja

Reaction score
So after 6 days in the primary the Hydrometer reading was suppose to be below 1.010. The reading was .994. After cleaning and santatizing we racked to the carboy.
Do I have to keep the carboy at 75 degrees for the secondary?

The kit said the starting gravity wassuppose to be 1.070 - 1.085. My reading was 1.074. If I am reading the hydrometer correctly, it looks like the alcohol % is going to be 9.5%. This seems low to me, I would think it would be 13% - 14%.

I appreciate your thoughts.

I would keep the carboy temps stable. Your fermentation is finished and will be fining and degassing soon.

As for your alcohol content. I would guesstimate that you are close to about 11% ABV

Based on your starting gravity

0.080 /.00786 = 10.86%

I get 10.6% my way but close enough. You will want to keep these temps until you have stabilized, degassed and cleared your wine. Once all that is done then you can let the temp drop.The smaller wine kits almost always have a lower sg and thats 1 reason why they are early drinkers as they wont last as long on your shelves.

Can I use the brewers belt on the glass carboy? I turn down the temp in my house when I am not home.

So I did add the brewing belt to the carboy after reading what others have done on the web.

I was surprised how low the specific gravity was after the primary.

.994 was by reading.

According to the directions that came with the kit, it should be below 1.010 after the primary and below .996 after the secondary. I am already below that.

Do I have a problem?

No problem, most kits go faster then they state and thats why we always say not to go by the days but by your hydrometer. I have used belts on glass for a few years and all winter long without any problems. Just dont put a belt on a carboy that is very cold like 40 degrees as the immediate temp change might make the glass crack.

Took a sample of the wine today. This was 1 day after transferring to the secondary. I have to say yuck, I sure hope this gets better.

rrs, it tastes like yuk now, in a few months it will taste yummy!!
smiley4.gif

Performed step 3 today after 12 days in the secondary. Degassed, stabilising and clearing. Hooked the defizzer to my drill. Did not seem to bring up much co2 until I brought it towards the top of the wine. I also used the vacuum pump with the carboy cap. I guess now I just let it sit for 14 days.

Making Barolo started it with 1 litre additional water by mistake - initial gravity 1.085
Left it 10 days - 74-77 degree darkened room - had too much going on -did stir must bag daily
Transferred to secondary - gravity .994 - Alcohol calc @12
for the first time, the kit almost filled my 6 gallon carboy (other times I've had to add a dbl bottle after st and fn)
stored in 68-70 degree dark closet, (should have done that with primary fermenter - but worried it to cold)
how soon should I stabilize and fine - kit says 10 days
some people suggest giving it a few weeks to develop

nglsdrfr, this is your first post, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of helpful folks here.
If this is your first kit try to follow the instructions keeping in mind that the SG is more important than day counting. I stay in secondary at least as long as the instructions say and often several days more. I generally work on my wine on weekends so my secondaries are usually at least 14 days and could be 21. As far as the extra liter of water I don't think that will be a big deal, you already see that it lowered your alcohol a point or so. You could have added some sugar at that point to bump the alcohol but that ship has sailed. Since the carboy is full you can rack back to the plastic primary bucket for the fining step and all the stirring. then rack back to carboy for three weeks or so of clearing, again follow the instructions but a week or two extra with a topped up carboy will be fine. Winemaking with kits is quite forgiving so don't worry about letting your winemaking fit your schedule rather than conforming your schedule to it. You mention the cold, a word of caution, to properly degas the wine should be in the low to mid 70s degrees f. Brew belts or heating pads are sometimes in order, there are many posts on fining and degasing just use the forum search tool. Share your progress as you go and good luck. btw, what brand and level of kit is is?

Latest posts

Back