Wine cellar humidity sensor location

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
About 12 years ago I built a wine room with metal racks for our purchased wine. It has a chiller, but at the time I didn’t think we would need humidity control. We have been breaking more and more corks lately so I checked the humidity. It was 50% and that is 10% higher than the rest of the home. Can all of that added humidity come from moisture escaping through the corks of about 600 bottles? Yikes!

I put a tabletop humidifier on the floor of the wine room and it soon boosted the humidity to the desired 70%.

Having recently learned of inkbird controllers I plan to operate the humidifier with the inkbird.

For now I have to leave the humidifier somewhere out of the way on the floor since I made no design provision to handle it otherwise, and it needs to be near the receptacle. But I can put the humidity sensor anywhere it’s cord will reach. I presume I’ll attach the sensor to a rack that is more or less central to the room. But is there an optimal location height-wise for a humidity sensor? TIA

Having no experience with this sort of thing, I'd guess that you'd want it halfway between the floor and the ceiling. But that's just a guess. I've had some education, so maybe you could call it an educated guess. :p

Thanks BB. The air in the room gets circulated really well by the chiller, so having the sensor more or less centered should be good. I’ll zip-tie it in place for now.

It was 50% and that is 10% higher than the rest of the home. Can all of that added humidity come from moisture escaping through the corks of about 600 bottles? Yikes!

I am guessing that your wine room is cooler than the rest of your house. I would wager that the absolute humidity is the same, but that the relative humidity is lower in the wine room, solely because it is cooler.

In other words, if you take a volume of air with a certain relative humidity, and you cool it, the relative humidity increases (even though the amount of H2O has not changed).

Back