Cellar Craft wine cellar gmo kit_want/need to do modifications

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started my kit and transferred to secondary when sg was 1005, also added the enzymes, left it in a colder room below 72 degrees for a couple days then brought the temp back up to approx. 68 degrees where it has now sat for 3 weeks, the sg seems to be almost 998 but was hard to tell maybe it is just below 1000, but has stayed there for a few days so fermentation must be done or permanently stalled. it doesn't smell as great as the other kit but maybe its not bad.

I don't understand why one should now add the k-meta, sorbate and chitosan and kieselsol without first racking, just doesn't make sense to me to leave sediment in it.

I was thinking to first rack it and then add the k-meta and sorbate (half amounts because don't like the idea of these chemicals) and let it bulk age at temperature of approx. 60 degrees for a few more weeks before bottling - check the clarity and then possibly add the fining agents. one is meant to add all 4 ingredients, let it sit for 14 days and then straight bottle.

not sure what to do, perhaps follow the directions (adding less of the k-meta and sorbate)....fining agents.

would it be unwise to proceed as I am thinking? what would others do?

Okay, I will bite: what is a "wine cellar gmo kit"?

Since this is posted under "Cellar Craft," I looked at their offerings, and couldn't find anything that I could stretch into "gmo." Could you please clarify?

rack off of sediment after fermentation is complete. the addition of k-meta, sorbate etc is placed in the kits to insure the wine is stabilized for most wine makers it is an easy way to make the wine, I would add clarifiers and k-meta. if wine is stabilized and do not plan on back sweetening, sorbate can be bypassed.

Some kits require that you have the sediment in there, otherwise they won't clear as intended. Other kits will specify leaving the sediment behind before clearing. I'd just follow the instructions as given to you. You technically don't need to add Amy clarifier, but the wine will take significantly longer to clear.

As for the 'chemicals', sir ate is unnecessary unless you intend to back sweeten the wine. Then it is absolutely necessary unless you want to deal with possible referents tigon issues or sterile filtering the wine. You're going to need to add the bisulfites if you have any intention of aging the wine for a significant period of time. It is a harmless inorganic salt that turns into Forms of sulfur dioxide in the wine. You already have SO2 in the wine whether you realize it or jot...yeast produce it naturally during fermentation. Just add the whole thing as instructed. Adding an insufficient amount can lead to a host of issues.

The wine is GSM (Grenache, syrah, mourvedre)...

so, sounds like I can just rack, add the metabisulfate, skip the fining agents and let it bulk age for a few months. I know some recommend to do as the kit says but I assume the end product is the same just takes longer right. I mean I read up on chitosan and its from shellfish, shrimp outer body parts, can u imagine the radiation and chemical complete garbage in that since they are farmed close to fukishima in next door in china?!...

if I go this route should I add a portion of the metabisulfate after racking and then when I rack again (which time frame is recommended) do i add a bit more?

Seems some people add this sulfite everytime they rack, it must add up to a fair quantity in the wine!! what is the reason for adding more everytime? and is the most important thing not that there is "a little" in the bottles once bottling? can one not perhaps skip adding it before bulk aging if transfer to carboy is with no splashing and filled up close to the top? what would the possible consequences be?

yes its the Cellar Craft Sterling GSM International Reserve kit. sorry for the little blunder there...

so, I have read that per 5 gallons of wine requires 1/4 tsp of metabisulphate. however, the packet I received with this kits contains at least a tsp or two......seems like a LOT, or maybe its a diluted version? anyone know?

if I want to bulk age it how much metabisulphite, minimum amount can I get away with? should I rack, then add, then do I save some and add again at bottling? also, if I am not using the fining agents I can rack now right?

I know its probably best to do as the kit suggests, has anyone else done their kits as I am feeling to do, with just metabisulphite? and have they turned out just as good?

its my first wine kit ever....

Latest posts

Back