Will My Grape Vines Come Back?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife got upset that our dogs were eating our grapes and afraid of them getting kidney failure. She took the loping shears to my grapevines when I was elsewhere on the property. I caught her before they were all destroyed. My question is, will the remaining ones come back and will new vines appear. The only vines I have left appear to be a few and they are in the middle of the trellis. Nothing is at the top, will they need to be retrained? I live in Pennsylvania, I guess it's best to wait until Spring to grow any new vines? I'm really sick over this :po

What?? Kidney failure?? My two dogs ate grapes dropping under the vines while we were harvesting and are none the worse for wear. They were so full they hardly ate their dog food that night. Where did this idea come from?

An established vine will always come back up from the root. But you just lost 1-2 years of harvest on those vines. :(

Don't kill the wife just yet. You may be okay. I think if you don't get a hard frost for a few weeks, they may have time to recover a little before they go to sleep for the winter. If they survive, you will probably have some pretty hardy plants in the spring. Watering now to be sure they don't dry out would not hurt either.

Crossing my fingers for you.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know where she reads this crap about what dogs can and cannot eat. Growing up we fed our dogs anything and everything. It's just sad that I had a real nice healthy crop of grapes and now they're all gone. I figured it would be a couple of years before I saw anything again, IF, they survive. I'm going to plant some new plants next Spring. Can anyone suggest a good wine grape and a good grape for making jelly?

Good news is that the grapes will come back. If they are producing fruit, the roots are well established. As said earlier it will take a few years for them to bear fruit again.
As for dogs eating grapes here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs.
Might have to do some fencing to keep the dogs away from the grapes or hide the loppers.
BTW, onions, chocolate and hops are also bad for dogs among other things.

There is no scientific study that proves any toxicity of grapes to dogs. This has become an "urban legend" of sorts. You usually only hear about dogs that supposedly have problems, not dogs that eat them and don't have any problems. If you look at the supposed toxicity to dogs on the Wiki page it says the "estimated" toxicity to be 19g/KG of body weight. If you do the math and say have a 40lb dog. Your dog would have to eat almost 4lbs of grapes to reach toxicity. Thats a lot of grapes for a 40lb dog. If grapes were indeed toxic to canines then why don't we see dead coyotes all over the vineyards in CA, WA, etc.

That said, if you love your dog its probably better to keep an eye on them around grapes so you have a crop to harvest and they don't potentially get sick with diarrhea etc.

Last edited:
Back