wild plum wont clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raspberry

Reaction score
I have a wild plum wine bulk aging for a year now that will not clear was hit with bentonite sparkolloid extra pectic enzyme but yet it is still cloudy any help would be great.

I have a wild plum wine bulk aging for a year now that will not clear was hit with bentonite sparkolloid extra pectic enzyme but yet it is still cloudy any help would be great.

Try Pectic enzyme again. You can’t hurt your wine or use too much. Many times, a big dose works miracles.

was thinking maybe amylase thinking it might be a starch or a protein haze
If it were a protein haze, the bentonite you’ve already tried would have knocked it out if it was dosed properly. Bentonite will strip color and / or flavor if used too heavily, so I hesitate to suggest that you try another bentonite dose without first trying a big pectic enzyme dose, which won’t do any damage at all. Plums are also well known to have large amounts of pectin in them, and are therefore difficult to clear without sufficient pectic enzyme dosage.

If it were my wine, given the info above, I’d try the pectic first, just my opinion.

If it were a protein haze, the bentonite you’ve already tried would have knocked it out if it was dosed properly. Bentonite will strip color and / or flavor if used too heavily, so I hesitate to suggest that you try another bentonite dose without first trying a big pectic enzyme dose, which won’t do any damage at all. Plums are also well known to have large amounts of pectin in them, and are therefore difficult to clear without sufficient pectic enzyme dosage.

If it were my wine, given the info above, I’d try the pectic first, just my opinion.
I gave it a double dose of pectic fingers crossed

Back